Small, I mean VERY SMALL, farms

tiffanyh

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Connecticut
Hi.

I was curious about those of you out there that are working with small lots or acreage.
How do you organize things in a small space?
Do you have gardens?
Are they space saver plants to utilize your space?
Any hints for others working with hobby farms in small areas? What creative things have you done to utilize your space?

I have 1/2 acre, sadly enough. But I love my house and the placement in town of my house. I have 5 goats, 10+ chickens and 3 rabbits. We try to be creative while maintaining a pleasant yard and some open space for the kids. The goats are up on a hill that overlooks our house. Our garden is full of tomato's in the summer and we do more on the deck with lettuce, peppers, herbs, etc in pots. The chickens are in a small area and we have created what we call "condos" with the space you utilize all the area.

We are considering adding a small hexagon aviary and small lean to greenhouse.
Side of House:
sept420050005.jpg

Driveway (yes that is a historical cemetary
smile.png
)
march1820050002.jpg

My view of the chicken area as I head up the hill to the goats
House026.jpg

My chicken coops:
House019.jpg
House020.jpg

The rabbits:
House025.jpg

So this is what we have done. I would love to see what you have all done with your area. How much room do you have and what are you doing with it!! ????

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Your yard looks real nice and organized. We have got two acres still not anough, I wan't more in the forty acre range.
smile.png
We have got a garden in the front right coner of the yard a chicken coop beside of our detached garge. A barn behind us and we might be getting a green house. I want to build another chicken coop, two acres should be anough for more than 8 chickens shoulden't it?
The person next to us has 40 - 50 acres I much rather have that.

Last edited by a moderator:
lacy,
the rabbits dont free ranger per se, they live like the chicken do. They go in at night and spend they days loose in their pen. I had a free ranging rabbit that I lost after a year. He wasnt free range by choice, he always got out. I actually lost him to a car and not a predator--it was VERY sad.

Back
Top Bottom