Small Monitor Roof Coop

Nice you can open the tops.

Do you get any condensation on the roof inside?
(might not see if you only go in once a month)

Any frostbite?
I haven't noticed any frost inside nor moisture buildup when I've peeked inside, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen on occasion when they all have a big sleepover. I take a look inside when I'm out there on occasion.

I think we had a little frostbite the first winter, but if I recall we also had some crazy cold going on. I don't know if we noticed any last year

I like how it's turning out, but now I wish I had added a fourth color

20201227_160145.jpg

20201227_164143.jpg

So I'm at the point of making the panels/roof sections and would like to apply a poly or varnish to all the siding so it lasts a while out in the elements. What have you used? The stain on there is not exterior stain

After that is the tricky part of actually moving it to its final location :/. I'll need to build a little dolly platform I think

You'e got some woodworking skills there. Although if I was going to build one, I'd make sure to make one more than big enough seeing how much effort goes into building it.
Thanks. I'm not good by any means, but my father built beautiful staircases and did construction for a living, so I certainly feel comfortable with a lot of tools.

This started with just some scrap lumber I had - and the desire to put it together in a few weeks -, so that kind of controlled the size, then I figured "well, might as well make it pretty" so I sourced some pallets, planed and beveled the edges for the colonial siding look and then stained. It's not light. Getting it to the final location is going to be .... interesting.

Much like my amur maple raised bed I tend to overdo/bite off too much and then have to spend A LOT of time finishing what should have been a simple job. HAHAHA.

Oh well. This is just an additional coop, so it's not necessary to be large. I wish I had stained up a fourth color though; something dark grey/smokey would have been nice

Well, today was moving day and this coop is really heavy. The move went well and I utilized a few 2x6s with braces as skis. The only tough point was getting it through the cyclone gate. I had measured and built this thing to have just enough room to get through that gate and that's basically how it ended up, but the lip, hardwire cloth and then the chicken crap soaked straw and dirt created a fun end challenge as I had the winch for getting it across the yard, but once inside the run I had to turn it around and get it into its final spot on blocks by hand.

I still have to install some roosting bars, but I'm done for today and happy with the end product

20210418_121350.jpg
20210418_151928.jpg

Great rolling!
Yeah, I was struggle on how to get it across a lawn that is anything but flat without just scraping the top layer of dirt. If I happened to have a few extra sheets of plywood I think I would have just put those down and then pulled it across those so I didn't have the do the rollers, but I had a bunch of broomsticks, so I made the best of it and used them and they seemed to work really well

This would not have happened without that ATV and winch. That was so key :) Once I got the coop to the run I then drove the ATV into the larger run, ran the winch line through the cyclone enclosed run and that allowed me to pull the new coop into the run, instead of pushing. However, that gate was tough. whew

Back
Top Bottom