"Small order fee"

Pics

Alex S

Songster
Nov 20, 2020
Kirkland, Washington
So at Mt. Healthy Hatcheries, I was looking at the cost of chicks. I liked the prices until they told me about their "small" order fee. Does anybody know any good hatcheries that have fewer order fees?
1605996980493.png

Last edited:
Holy spit — $10 per chick before the order fee? I hope they lay golden eggs! ;)

Meyer hatchery has Orpington for $3.78 each. But their small order fee is steep too. Shipping 4 chicks (especially in winter) is very risky, hence the fees.

possible alternatives:
  1. wait til early spring and pick them up at a feed store
  2. Split an order with someone else so you can make up the minimum
  3. See if there’s a hatchery within driving distance from you. Some will waive small order fees on pickups.

Holy spit — $10 per chick before the order fee? I hope they lay golden eggs! ;)

Meyer hatchery has Orpington for $3.78 each. But their small order fee is steep too. Shipping 4 chicks (especially in winter) is very risky, hence the fees.

possible alternatives:
  1. wait til early spring and pick them up at a feed store
  2. Split an order with someone else so you can make up the minimum
  3. See if there’s a hatchery within driving distance from you. Some will waive small order fees on pickups.
I was hoping to change the order so they would arrive later but I couldn't find the option.

I ran into this with Cackle hatchery. Ideal and Meyers dont seem to have these fees. It cost me about $12/bird in total for a straight run of all cockerels. I am still happy though as I have a breed I didn't before and they are of a better quality than I expected from hatchery stock.
Can you vaccinate your chickens at Meyer Hatchery?

So at Mt. Healthy Hatcheries, I was looking at the cost of chicks. I liked the prices until they told me about their "small" order fee. Does anybody know any good hatcheries that have fewer order fees? View attachment 2420301
Privett Hatchery and others require 25 bird minimum and a 7-8$ small order fee. Hoover's ships 15 min, no special fees at all. Tractor supply sells 10 but Hoovers ships the TSC orders with up to 12 birds for survivability. Maybe you could get straight run and process the half or so that'll be males, or order such that all but about 4-6 will be boys, so you end up with the desired number of pullets? Also, I'd review discussions as to whether to do Mareks on a brand new flock that won't be exposed to adults/other Markes birds etc. Similar for beak trimming.

:welcome :frow Many hatcheries do have a minimum order like 25 chicks but there a some hatcheries that will sell fewer chicks. When they ship them they usually put a warming pad in with the chicks. This is one of the more well known hatchery sites that sells small quanities of chicks and a list of different hatcheries where some do and some don't but states the quanity they require. Good luck and have fun...
https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/BabyChickMin.aspx
https://www.knowyourchickens.com/buy-chickens-online/

Xouie's advice is pretty good. I prefer paying the small upcharge from a well staffed feed store so they can deal with shipping problems, deaths in transit, etc. - it also allows me to look at the birds and say "Not that one, can you grab another?"

Please reconsider beak trimming. The other name for it is debeaking, they cut through the beak to prevent chickens from being able to picking on each other. If it's done poorly the chickens can struggle to eat and groom. Well cared for healthy birds with a decent set up should not be picking at each other. It's used for commercial set ups where birds are shoved in cages or pens and packed like sardines.

Back
Top Bottom