Small pet/rodent thread! Mice, rats, hamsters, gerbils, etc!

Attachments

• WIN_20210328_20_36_29_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210328_20_36_29_Pro.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 4
Hello I know this is a dead thread, but I used to have guinea pigs and I’m getting rats in a few weeks!
Males or females? I loved the rats I had. First had a trio of females, then when they died I picked up a little baby rat from a reptile convention and raised her (she was my favorite, acted like a dog), then I had three males. The last of my males sadly passed away last week at over two years old. Love rats, but wish they lived longer.
F73A7862-8376-470E-B7C4-DD0ED2F6AE6E.jpeg

461DB98D-96A3-46E6-B77B-4788BF5486D3.jpeg

Males or females? I loved the rats I had. First had a trio of females, then when they died I picked up a little baby rat from a reptile convention and raised her (she was my favorite, acted like a dog), then I had three males. The last of my males sadly passed away last week at over two years old. Love rats, but wish they lived longer.
View attachment 2664955
Two females! I can’t stand the males te$ticl3s 😂 and I’ve heard their stinkier and fur is coarser

Two females! I can’t stand the males te$ticl3s 😂 and I’ve heard their stinkier and fur is coarser
Hah, that never bothered me too much but the males definitely did smell more! Aspen wood chips were my friend; they were the best safe bedding I found to conceal that male stink. Mine were the type with very little fur so can't speak on the coarseness of fur.
Opposite of what most say I also found my females to be more friendly. They were more open to new things and less skittish. Both of my trios I got at the same age so it wasn't an age thing. I'd go with females if I ever did it again and get them from babies like I did with Halo. The red eyes didn't bother me. She used to come up and lick my hands like a dog. Unfortunately because she was a feeder rat she didn't have great genetics. She was only one when she developed a very large mammary tumor and had to be euthanized. Usually I only have one or two vet bills for my rats - one for antibiotics if I got them from a "feeder rat" sort of setting and one for euthanasia at the end. Two of mine I've lost to tumors. They're healthy until the end though!

Males definitely have a musky smell, and aren't as soft. They also taste worse (haha) - I used to put my mouth on my females backs (not sure how thrilled rats are to be chewed on!) but the boys flat out tasted awful.

Back
Top Bottom