Small Pigeon Coop Ideas Please.

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
I want to build a SMALL pigeon coop for my birds. I would like to house about 5 - 6 pairs only. The birds will be allowed free flight each day (probably come and go as they wish until I lock them in the evening or if going away).

Space is VERY limited for width of the coop as its in a passage behind my house, but the coop can be extra long or high no problem.

I have seen photos of pigeon kit boxes.. which looked a good idea, but was told that these coops are too small for my homing pigeons and also pigeons are only kept in them for competition and not all the time - like when breeding.

I spend hours on the web, but cant find any designs suitable.

I would like it to be raised off the ground, with a wire mesh floor with trays to catch the poops, and not have to walk in to it. So I need to be able to open up the front to lean in to clean, feed them, etc.

If anyone has any photos or pictures of a design that they feel is suitable for me please post them on this thread.

My main concern is ease of cleaning and maximising perching and nesting spaces.

I also like to keep them cool.. as I live in a hot climate... but also protection from heavy rain in the monsoon season.

Thank you.

My loft isn't very big. It currently has 5 adults 3 younsters and 5 babies! If there out flying then it's not bad. But if your breeding it could soon get too crowded. It reasonably easy to clean and maintain.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pigeon-loft-build.74119
The only thing I would like (other than a bigger loft!) is one that I can walk in.

My loft isn't very big. It currently has 5 adults 3 younsters and 5 babies! If there out flying then it's not bad. But if your breeding it could soon get too crowded. It reasonably easy to clean and maintain.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pigeon-loft-build.74119
The only thing I would like (other than a bigger loft!) is one that I can walk in.

WOW WOW WOW. That is fantastic and thank you so much. All your photos really helped me understand the layout and size.

That is PERFECT for my birds.

Can you tell me the dimensions of it?

I am really bad at building things.. and for some reason prober timber is hard to find here (mostly just crappy chipboard stuff and plyboard. So I will find someone who can make that for me.

Thank you again. The only different thing I will do to mine is make it longer by about one third.

With your coop, do you find it easy to lean in to clean all the corners and perches? What about the birds fighting? My 2 cock birds really hate each other and fight constantly if let out together... even when free to fly about.

Thank you again for your help and interesting article. Your birds look really healthy and happy in there.

WOW WOW WOW. That is fantastic and thank you so much. All your photos really helped me understand the layout and size.

That is PERFECT for my birds.

Can you tell me the dimensions of it?

I am really bad at building things.. and for some reason prober timber is hard to find here (mostly just crappy chipboard stuff and plyboard. So I will find someone who can make that for me.

Thank you again. The only different thing I will do to mine is make it longer by about one third.

With your coop, do you find it easy to lean in to clean all the corners and perches? What about the birds fighting? My 2 cock birds really hate each other and fight constantly if let out together... even when free to fly about.

Thank you again for your help and interesting article. Your birds look really healthy and happy in there.
Thanks! I had to build it in a bit of a hurry but it works quite well. It is about 6'x6'x3'. It's higher at the back, about 7', because of the slanted roof. On the top ledge I can put a partition in but that's more to let the birds that are flying back in without being harassed by the others! I could use it to separate birds but I haven't needed too.... yet! When I open the door for cleaning I put a bungee around it to stop the door flapping fully open and letting the rest out. The entire loft is made from 2"x2" and plyboard sheets. I added the shiplap afterwards, more aesthetic but it does make it more durable to the weather. The roof is like industrial roofing sheets so they should last a lifetime!

Back
Top Bottom