Small shavings? Or the bigger kind?

ragerkid2

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Johnstown Pa
My chicks are using the small stuff but it's dusty and accmalates in there waterer. ( I have to clean it every couple of hours) it's getting on my nerves so I was wondering if it would be okay to just get the bigger kind?

Raise the waterers and feeders up off the floor with a platform they can climb onto to reach them. That will slow down (but not entirely eliminate) the shavings in the water problem.

I prefer the larger shavings myself.

a fair amount of the dust you are seeing is from the chickens, not the shavings. tons and tons of chick dust while they feather in. it is the hardest part of having them inside my house.
barnie.gif

The larger shavings. Less scatter, more absorbant, easier to fish out of the waterer base. Plus, the chicks occasionally pick up a darker piece and run around like they have a super prize, which the other chicks all want and chase it to try to take it away. Entertainment value galore!

Quote:
x2

They're learning to scratch for food... they'll keep covering the dish! I use a piece of wood to set the dishes on... it helps a bit!
wink.png

I like larger. I have my waterer up on two small cinder blocks (the square kind) laid flat and rarely do the shavings make it in in any large quantity.

Quote:
When does that happen? My chicks are in their second week and I'm not seeing much dust at all using the large shavings. Their water stays clean unless they specifically scratch near the water, in which case it is mostly shavings in the water.

Back
Top Bottom