Small, urban, chicken-supply business - can it work?

Quote:
You know, I have concerns about that too. Is the interest in backyard chickens, locavore products, organic foods, backyard produce, etc. truly a fad and a direct result of the economic times? Will things go right back to our American ways of material consumption and apathetic lifestyles when the economy improves and folks once again have excess disposable income? I truly hope not!

I was thinking about being able to broaden my market if this is really a fad and the interest eventually fades. Maybe expanding into wild bird products, butterfly gardening products, and that sort of thing...

Good discussion!

Ron

I think a large part of if it'll stick around also has to do with what area geographically you're in. Out here a large part of chicken keeping is a result of not wanting to support battery cage operations and the way broiler chicken houses are ran. About a year ago CA had a bill on the ballot that asked for a minimum cage space per bird, and it passed. During the election period photos of battery hens crammed into cages were on tv nightly. Or as my 9 year old put it "store eggs taste like misery and guilt mom".

Quote:
You know, I have concerns about that too. Is the interest in backyard chickens, locavore products, organic foods, backyard produce, etc. truly a fad and a direct result of the economic times? Will things go right back to our American ways of material consumption and apathetic lifestyles when the economy improves and folks once again have excess disposable income? I truly hope not!

I was thinking about being able to broaden my market if this is really a fad and the interest eventually fades. Maybe expanding into wild bird products, butterfly gardening products, and that sort of thing...

Good discussion!

Ron

I think a large part of if it'll stick around also has to do with what area geographically you're in. Out here a large part of chicken keeping is a result of not wanting to support battery cage operations and the way broiler chicken houses are ran. About a year ago CA had a bill on the ballot that asked for a minimum cage space per bird, and it passed. During the election period photos of battery hens crammed into cages were on tv nightly. Or as my 9 year old put it "store eggs taste like misery and guilt mom".

Very smart 9 year old!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom