Small woodstove suggestions

oo thanks, that looks nice. Is the fireplace opening closed off with metal of some sort? Your fp looks a lot like ours!
smile.png
I'll have to find a photo of mine.

Yes, there are two heavy metal sheets that close off the FP and are bolted together and meet behind the stove. You dont even notice them. We adore this woodstove. I'll never be without a soapstone stove and the stone is very attractive, too. Cost a pretty penny, but we never regretted buying it. It's saved us SO much $$$ and we love direct heat.

Ditto on the soapstone woodstove. We have one too and we use it as the primary heat for our 2000 sf home in Vermont. We have an open floor plan which helps. The thing about soapstone is that it takes a little longer to warm up the house but since its a radiant heat it stays warm longer. And, you use less wood. We use about 5 cords per winter at a cost of about $1000.

I was lucky. A freind of mine gave me an insert with a blower. I had to buy some new gaskets, fire brick and the pipe for the chimmeny. I never buy wood. I will go pick up people's tree for free just for the wood. I have done this for five years now.

We have a Morso wood stove. It's small and takes 10" pieces of wood, about 3 at a time, but it heats up the house without making the room it sits in unbearably hot. It's cast iron and has a squirrel embossed on the side.

Be careful of used stoves, make sure all controls are on the frount. 2 years ago we were without power for a couple of days. I ran the woodstove with a clean chimney supposidly (I had paid someone to clean in). The autodamper failed and ofcourse the blower doesn't work without electricity...the manual damper was located on the back of the stove...absolutely impossible to get to. Had my oldest daughter grab the baby and her little sister and go to the car, called 911 and put the fire out pulled logs out. I had the fire out but surround and chimney at flash point for over 1 hour, my carpet melted, paint peeled....thank God my tree was artificial(daughter with asthma). My new one is cumberland by quadra-fire...starts easy, very efficient can heat most of the house well even when we have no power, heats whole house (I use ceiling fans) with power. We loose power up to 3-4 days once a year it seems.

Back
Top Bottom