Small yellow worms/maggots in stool?? *PIC* HELP!

Actually, I worm my birds once a month, but not for tapeworms. I havnt had a tapeworm infection in any of my birds for 6 years...lucky me lol.
Anyway, tapeworm egg infected insects (known as the indirect lifecycle) are the vector for infecting chickens.

I think some of your problem may be re-infestation since there are so many tapeworm segments being released into your flock's environment via poop like that. This is probably going to be an on going issue for you. I know some BYC members like @dawg53 need to deworm at least 4 times a year to keep on top of the problem. Climate can play a big part in the problem, so it may be a good idea to take advice from someone with similar conditions. Including your location on your profile page is helpful in situations like this.
Im In NSW Australia.
I clean the poop out of their coop every morning, and pick the poo up from the backyard like once a day...
I’ve read that if we deworm too much after a while the dewormer won’t work as good?
I don’t mind deworming regularly but I just want those orange things to piss off! I also don’t want my hens to die from it. Even though they’re acting perfectly healthy.
I wish that first person would reply as well, I posted about those worms on a fb chicken group and someone said the same thing about cocci... not sure if I should treat for cocci as well then

Actually, I worm my birds once a month, but not for tapeworms. I havnt had a tapeworm infection in any of my birds for 6 years...lucky me lol.
Anyway, tapeworm egg infected insects (known as the indirect lifecycle) are the vector for infecting chickens.
How come you deworm once a month ??

Those yellow things are definitely nothing to do with coccidia.
The OP submitted a poop sample to the vet for testing and the vet found a type of coccidia in the poop. That is a totally separate issue from these yellow organisms that you and they were seeing. Coccidia and their oocysts are microscopic. They cannot be seen with the naked eye. Also these yellow organisms would not be found/seen in a faecal float test which is how most worm eggs and coccidia are found, because of the way the sample is processed.
Most chickens will have coccidia in their system, so it was no surprise that the vet found some. It is the level of infestation which is relevant. If there is a large number of coccidia oocysts per gram of faecal sample then it is necessary to treat for coccidiosis because there has been an overgrowth but most chickens develop resistance to coccidia as they grow from chicks, so their immune system can keep the numbers in check.

Those tapeworm segments are unfortunately migrating onto the grass. They may be ingested by other animals like the horses whilst grazing and then pooped out and dung beetles eat the poop containing the eggs and then chickens eat the dung beetles. You might try applying agricultural lime to your land to try to break the cycle.

Edited to clarify.... the eggs they contain pooped out

Last edited:
I was just wondering if the yellow worm segments are seen immediately with the droppings?I cannot seem to find other pictures of yellow ones in the usual chicken or poultry tapeworms in online sources.

With tapeworm infestations, the segments contain many eggs inside. Not only do droppings need to be removed as best as possible, but hosts need to be removed as well. Those can be flies, earthworms, snails, and slugs.

I was just wondering if the yellow worm segments are seen immediately with the droppings?I cannot seem to find other pictures of yellow ones in the usual chicken or poultry tapeworms in online sources.
I've seen a few posts where people have posted similar pictures. Perhaps it's a different species of tapes?

With tapeworm infestations, the segments contain many eggs inside. Not only do droppings need to be removed as best as possible, but hosts need to be removed as well. Those can be flies, earthworms, snails, and slugs.
Yes they are in the poop as soon as my hen poops it. They’re moving and after a while it’s like they dry and die.

Those tapeworm segments are unfortunately migrating onto the grass. They may be ingested by other animals like the horses whilst grazing and then pooped out and dung beetles eat the poop containing the eggs and then chickens eat the dung beetles. You might try applying agricultural lime to your land to try to break the cycle.

Edited to clarify.... the eggs they contain pooped out
So you’re pretty much saying they will never get rid of those worms....? In that case wouldn’t it be easier to cull the affected ones ? (Even though I would never kill any of my girls )

Help!

I was just out with my girls and I saw this poop - I'm not sure how fresh it is. But those small yellow things are either worms or some type of maggot?? :( They were wiggling around throughout. No bigger than a grain of rice.

They get Rooster Booster in their water daily. Dumor Poultry Grower/Finisher Feed + grit. Food scraps sometimes (mostly melon or cucumber). Should I get meds to administer ASAP??
1f613.png

Hey! Did you ever managed to get rid of those worms? Ever find out what it was?

Back
Top Bottom