Small Yolk Sac still attached- dry

FeatherTay

Crowing
Jun 28, 2020
Kansas
Hi! I had a yolk sac still attached to a dark brahma chick. It was a bout the size of a pinky finger nail. She just hatched (with assistance). I knew she was ready. She was a malpositioned chick, and she pipped around 24-36 hours ago. Her membrane started drying out, and she looked small in her egg. She looked to be struggling. I checked for veins- none. So I assisted. Not much, and she hatched the rest of the way. But like I said above, little yolk sac.
Humidity is 50%, I know some people say too low, but it’s worked great for me, so I keep it there! Temp is 98-99 degrees. I put her in a cup with an egg on her butt and paper towels around her. She is chilling! She is peeping every so often, but she is sleeping. She is very lively for a newly hatched chick. That was about 12 hours ago. Now, she has developed wry neck from being in that cup and her yolk sac is still there, and dry. How can I help her out?

01C178B2-E229-446E-9BD5-F1EE9FC222B1.jpeg
0733AF69-3D6F-4D41-834C-1355951989F4.jpeg

I've seen a similar presentation resolve on its own without issues before. Personally, if you have some antibacterial ointment without painkiller (contentious point there, but I believe the conclusion was that dose matters, and I'd lean heavily towards the side of caution for chicks) I would smear it over the sac to keep it damp. I would keep her in a brooder with paper towel, not shavings, with no other chicks in it.

I've seen a similar presentation resolve on its own without issues before. Personally, if you have some antibacterial ointment without painkiller (contentious point there, but I believe the conclusion was that dose matters, and I'd lean heavily towards the side of caution for chicks) I would smear it over the sac to keep it damp. I would keep her in a brooder with paper towel, not shavings, with no other chicks in it.
Ok. I have neosporin, will that work?
Also I dont have an available brooder with a heat source. Is it ok if I leave her in an incubator? How about with out the cup?

Wry neck isn't from being in the cup. It's either trama or a vitamin deficiency. You can try a couple drops of NutriDrench on the side of its beak a few times a day.

FYI- I ended up culling my recent wry neck chick at 2 days because it couldn't eat or drink even with assistance.

Some people have luck breaking open vitamin E capsules and giving that to the chick. I didn't have any and by the time I would have been able to get to town, it would have been too late, so I went the NutriDrench route.

No real advice on the yolk other than keep it moist.

Ok. I have neosporin, will that work?
Also I dont have an available brooder with a heat source. Is it ok if I leave her in an incubator? How about with out the cup?
Neosporin should work. Can she stand on her own? You said she has wry neck now. I think it's important for chicks to move around in this stage of their development, but there's also a risk of the yolk sac tearing. Looking at the image, I personally would consider proper movement to be higher priority for now, given she's already been kept still for 12 hours.

Hi! I had a yolk sac still attached to a dark brahma chick. It was a bout the size of a pinky finger nail. She just hatched (with assistance). I knew she was ready. She was a malpositioned chick, and she pipped around 24-36 hours ago. Her membrane started drying out, and she looked small in her egg. She looked to be struggling. I checked for veins- none. So I assisted. Not much, and she hatched the rest of the way. But like I said above, little yolk sac.
Humidity is 50%, I know some people say too low, but it’s worked great for me, so I keep it there! Temp is 98-99 degrees. I put her in a cup with an egg on her butt and paper towels around her. She is chilling! She is peeping every so often, but she is sleeping. She is very lively for a newly hatched chick. That was about 12 hours ago. Now, she has developed wry neck from being in that cup and her yolk sac is still there, and dry. How can I help her out?

View attachment 2723401View attachment 2723402
Wry neck isn't from being in the cup. It's either trama or a vitamin deficiency. You can try a couple drops of NutriDrench on the side of its beak a few times a day.

FYI- I ended up culling my recent wry neck chick at 2 days because it couldn't eat or drink even with assistance.

Some people have luck breaking open vitamin E capsules and giving that to the chick. I didn't have any and by the time I would have been able to get to town, it would have been too late, so I went the NutriDrench route.

No real advice on the yolk other than keep it moist.
I don’t have nutridrench- yet. I hope to get some along with a couple more things. Let’s hope she hangs on until tomorrow so I can help her

Back
Top Bottom