Smaller chicks bullied to death... I think. Need to expand our coop.

F66B5134-5B98-482C-93D9-385E48F50CC9.jpeg
5948987D-695A-4D07-8EA7-A9D13BA131CA.jpeg
I just built my first coop myself, and I am in no way a carpenter, I just have a basic understanding. This is the plan I used as it correlated with what I was planning on building. Good luck

https://modernfarmer.com/2015/09/how-to-build-a-chicken-coop/

We have a shed coop with a hoop run. We absolutely love it, it was easy for two old geezers with dusabilities to put up by ourselves in a weekend, is easily expanded, and because of (not despite) the fact that there is no stiffening framing, it flexes beautifully under harsh winds and snow. In fact, this afternoon we has major storms roll through with 70 mph winds. Lost some trees and had other damage, but the run still looks like it did when we put it up.

I don’t have my chickens anymore, but the coop and run are still in use as a greenhouse and garden shed. Not a single penny or minute of time wasted. You can see our build by clicking on “My Coop” under my avatar.

I’m sorry all of this happened to your chicks, but if it helps most of us have done things we kinda knew better than to do. Some of us were just luckier than others and didn’t have losses as a result. You were able to regroup and find a viable solution at hand. You may have lost a couple, but with your quick response and clear thinking you’re saving many more.

View attachment 1407585 View attachment 1407584 I just built my first coop myself, and I am in no way a carpenter, I just have a basic understanding. This is the plan I used as it correlated with what I was planning on building. Good luck

https://modernfarmer.com/2015/09/how-to-build-a-chicken-coop/

Welcome to BYC.

You should start a thread showing off your coop.

Too bad all the poor plans on the internet don't have a general disclaimer that this structure is not really suited for housing live chickens... in case you don't know chicken wire only keeps chickens in and does not keep predators out.

JT

Do you think you can build a predator proof run with your hardware cloth and not even have a coop to run door that you have to open daily? That would certainly make overnight travel, dates with the spouse, short trips etc a lot easier.

Another idea is to make a door from the coop to the run that you can close when you want and leave open when you want. We have that sort of door. It's a door with a clothesline attached to the bottom and a little pulley on the under part of the coop overhand. It goes to the outside of the run to the post. I untie it and let it down when I want to. Pull the clothesline again and hook it on the eyelet on the post and it's open again! It's open unless I want to keep the chickens out of the coop for cleaning or something. Works well for us. I imagine you can go without a door too.
:confused:

I mean the
Another idea is to make a door from the coop to the run that you can close when you want and leave open when you want. We have that sort of door. It's a door with a clothesline attached to the bottom and a little pulley on the under part of the coop overhand. It goes to the outside of the run to the post. I untie it and let it down when I want to. Pull the clothesline again and hook it on the eyelet on the post and it's open again! It's open unless I want to keep the chickens out of the coop for cleaning or something. Works well for us. I imagine you can go without a door too.
:confused:
I meant the coop overhang!

Thanks for the replies! I made another thread showing the shed coop progress :). We'll keep the smaller coops for the babies and move the big girls and boys to the shed.

Welcome to BYC.

You should start a thread showing off your coop.

Too bad all the poor plans on the internet don't have a general disclaimer that this structure is not really suited for housing live chickens... in case you don't know chicken wire only keeps chickens in and does not keep predators out.

JT
Thanks, I think I will! Yes I am aware about the chicken wire and predators. I am in the process of putting hardware cloth over the chicken wire. Thank you for the advice

Back
Top Bottom