Smallest egg I've ever seen!!

A flock of hens always select just one or two nests as their favorite. I've even seen 2 and 3 hens in the same nest at the same time.
Creatures of habit.
It must have been a wind egg. Perhaps a piece of tissue sloughed off entering the oviduct which started the process of adding albumen and an egg shell with no yolk.

Chickens are so interesting! I Didn't know any of that :)

The fact that they all gravitate to the same nest is what makes it inane that prefab coop builders usually put at least 4 nests in a building only big enough to hold 4 hens.
The coop builders clearly don't know anything about chickens. For some of them, their knowledge of building construction is also suspect.

The fact that they all gravitate to the same nest is what makes it inane that prefab coop builders usually put at least 4 nests in a building only big enough to hold 4 hens.
The coop builders clearly don't know anything about chickens. For some of them, their knowledge of building construction is also suspect.
True that...some of the coops I've seen at TSC look like a strong breeze would cause them to implode.

That is.. Exactly what I did when I built my own! When I had my first chickens, I had three hens and a rooster. Made my coop out of old wood that was left from replacing our dock.
They were all still pullets but I made a nest box for each, and an extra one. At some point I had about 10 laying hens but never found eggs in more than two boxes for a day.
I guess it does give them a choice as to where they would rather lay, I've found eggs in all of them. They do have favourites though :)

Back in September, my hen hei-hei layed this adorable little egg. Took some photos, and when I cracked it there was even a little yolk inside! I was already pretty impressed at the size of this one... View attachment 2005315

But today, I stumbled upon the monster of all tiny eggs.. I don't know how it even is possible for a hen to lay such a small egg!
Not even sure who layed it, as they all lay in the same nesting box.

View attachment 2005322
View attachment 2005324

Length: 9mm
Width: 8mm

Im wondering if there's even anything inside.. The shell seems pretty thick

But there you go, that was my discovery of the day :)

What a cute fairy egg! I had one last year that was a deep brown. At first I thought it was a nut. Did you crack this open? Mine had a tiny yolk in it too.

MY HENS all like the same nesting boxes also...ive seen 2 or three hens trying to get in the same box with eachother...i have nine nesting boxes for 17 hens,,,,,, go figure, i have some inside the coop and some outside the coop IMG_5516.JPG IMG_5517.JPG

Back
Top Bottom