Smallest quietest chicken breed?

Quote:
Agreed! They can be noisy, but they're great broodies, they lay fairly regularly when they aren't broody, and are very sweet.

Seramas can't handle the cold, and eggs are really too small to be useful for eating/cooking unless you plan to use 3 for every 1 regular egg.

Quote:
My Seramas actually lay fairly large eggs for their size. I don't know about how well they do in cold weather, though.

Quote:
My Seramas actually lay fairly large eggs for their size. I don't know about how well they do in cold weather, though.

I'm ok with tiny eggs. We had quail, and thought about having them again, but they really aren't very friendly. My autistic kid likes to cuddle with the chickens. And he LOVED the tiny quail eggs (yes, 3 for 1 chicken egg) so tiny chicken eggs would be just fine.

Cold hardy, tho, is a necessity, because we're in Colorado and whew does it get cold here! And muddy.

Quote:
I have 4 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte bantams... to bad you are so far away! They are 13 weeks old, small, and none have crowed yet.
smile.png
They are from a hatchery... we ordered them from Ideal.

61023_sam_1009.jpg

ETA; Sorry I was editing while you were quoting.
lol.png
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I have 4 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte bantams... to far you are so far away! They are 13 weeks old, small, and none have crowed yet.
smile.png

Not THAT far away!

Where did you get them? Local breeder? Your own stock?

Pix please!!!

What about Silkies? I did have a rooster that was loud-ish, BUT I have a rooster now that never crows. He is just the sweetest creature. I also have a cuckoo silkie hen, and I do enjoy watching her roam about. I have a partridge silkie hen also that does cluck from time to time, especially if she is annoyed by something.

Good luck with your decision!

I just hatched out two chicks from this breeder: Lynne and I could not be more thrilled. When my bantam cochin went broody -- and me without a rooster -- I looked high and low for good quality bantam cochins.

The whole time she was setting she let me handle her, move her to candle, clean her area so the chicks didn't hatch in a messy brooder. She just cooed and purred the whole time. And she is the best Mama. The chicks ride her back, she clucks and they come running. I've had other breeds but I am now redefining my flock with bantam cochins.

(Seramas are nice too. I've looked at them... I might get a few. But my focus is on my bantam cochins. I'm not sure Seramas are cold hardy.)

Jenny

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom