Smart Chickens

ILuvMyPetChickens

Songster
9 Years
Jan 3, 2011
Leavittsburg, Ohio
Who's chickens here come when you call their name or say come here. My Rooster Pretty Boy when I say Pretty Boy come here he starts running to me. Fluffy does it sometimes.
but I say come here to all of them they start running for me. My ex said chickens are stupid.

my dad used to say that too - but he's coming around - my girls know their names - the boys know their names - but are like cats - they only come when they want to... lol

they have also learned which places i sit when i bring the corn an d goodies out - and they never ever perch or poo on those spots

so- they arent the einsteins of the animal kingdom - but they are pretty darn smart for something with brains so small...

Chickens are smarter than a lot of folks give them credit. Some of my chickens come when called by name and others come over when I am using a certain tone of voice, but probably because they are expecting a treat. Have you seen the videos on youtube showing chicken training.

My chickens are trained to go in their coop when I tell them "IN" in a loud voice. They actually picked it up really quickly. And if they even think they see a treat bowl they come running. You have to be pretty smart to know to hide under cover when an eagle or hawk flies overhead. Much to my german shepherds supprise, some decided that she was a good thing to hide under the other day. So the chickens know the dogs will chase off any birds that don't live here.

I don't think chickens are stupid at all, mine come to a whistle rather than shouting there names, they sit at my gate waiting for me to get on to the yard to give them whatever treat it may be. If they here rustling packet noises or whatever they run like the wind.

Some of mine do come when I use their names..but for the most part when I yell "My lady Janes" my ladies will come running...now my wonderful BO roo will only come when I yell his name "Mr Russell Crow" and a running he will go...I truly believe chickens are smarter then some humans give them credit for! My younger chickens will just come running to me everytime they see me...they think I may have a treat...

Quote:
lol.png
So glad to hear you say that..my three ladies do the same thing...it freaked me out the first time I thought something was wrong...

Back
Top Bottom