Smart rooster, dumb hens?

Possum-Pie

Songster
Jun 23, 2022
Pennsylvania
I've noticed this a lot- our rooster sees a fox,cat, etc., and begins his LOUD cry of alarm. I come running from the house (sometimes just in time to see the predator running away) and the hens are casually pecking the ground around him. I thought having a rooster would help hens evade predators but they seem oblivious to his warnings. Does anyone know why this may be happening?
He HAS saved the life of our Buff Orpington, about 3 months ago he started his warning cry and I ran outside to see a coyote with the Buff in his mouth and feathers flying. I shouted and ran, the coyote decided he didn't want to tangle with me and dropped her. She was scared and minus a lot of feathers, but fully recovered. I credit the rooster and again question why they didn't run back into the coop with his warning. The 3 other hens were just standing around watching the horror...

I've noticed this a lot- our rooster sees a fox,cat, etc., and begins his LOUD cry of alarm. I come running from the house (sometimes just in time to see the predator running away) and the hens are casually pecking the ground around him. I thought having a rooster would help hens evade predators but they seem oblivious to his warnings. Does anyone know why this may be happening?
He HAS saved the life of our Buff Orpington, about 3 months ago he started his warning cry and I ran outside to see a coyote with the Buff in his mouth and feathers flying. I shouted and ran, the coyote decided he didn't want to tangle with me and dropped her. She was scared and minus a lot of feathers, but fully recovered. I credit the rooster and again question why they didn't run back into the coop with his warning. The 3 other hens were just standing around watching the horror...
This is strange. The only thing that crosses my mind is:
Maybe the rooster speaks another language as the hens.

Some hens can be quite dumb to their surrounding, Dual Purpose breeds tend to be like that, Game birds can be very aware of their surroundings..

Try to keep the ones that do run for cover.

BDutch, funny you should say "different language" as my previous rooster had different calls for danger. I could play a YouTube video on Hen's mating calls and he would freak out and run around. This rooster just looks at me. The old rooster would freak out when I screeched like a hawk, this one just stares... They were both Wellsummers and looked identical. Maybe the hens just don't understand his warnings.

I have a HUGE run for them, (12'X100') plus a tractor. It's all covered in bird net but despite this, a coyote somehow got under the fence and got my Buff Orpington. The hens just seem oblivious to his warnings. I have one Buff, two Black Americanas, and one Bard Rock (the bully of the bunch). NONE heed the rooster's warnings.
Maybe he’s “cried wolf” too many times so now they just believe him 🤷🏻‍♀️😂

A lot depends on your keeping circumstances but in general the coop is not considered by most of the chickens I've know to be a place of safety from predators and quite rightly so; there is only one way in and out!

Next, you've missed the warning call which the rooster gives before everyone starts shouting their heads off. It's the warning call that alerts the hens to danger and they make a judgement on the level of danger and then run for cover if there is good cover available and then start shouting.

It's unlikely that the hens are oblivious to the roosters warning calls. If they are in a run when this happens there is no need to take cover and probably none available.

Do you have an enclosed run for them? Maybe consider a sort of pen that you can move around, a lot of people use a trampoline that they add wire to around the sides and they slide it around the yard for fresh grass as needed

I have a HUGE run for them, (12'X100') plus a tractor. It's all covered in bird net but despite this, a coyote somehow got under the fence and got my Buff Orpington. The hens just seem oblivious to his warnings. I have one Buff, two Black Americanas, and one Bard Rock (the bully of the bunch). NONE heed the rooster's warnings.

I have hens only. They are sharp when free ranging and flee whenever they see a dog or some other threat. They don’t flee for cats. But see them , walk away and make a disturbed sound.

IMO Its ridicule to think that all hens are stupid.

Back
Top Bottom