1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Smell from brooding

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Woodsy, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Woodsy

Woodsy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Canada
    I am hatching eggs in my finished basement and because of the cold weather, must brood them in the basement for a few weeks. However, the smell is starting to annoy my wife. I change the shavings every 2 days. Any tricks? Someone mentioned a dry powder, maybe air purifier? Is it the amonia and dampness making the smell? What do I do?

Thanks,
    Woodsy

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Just tell your wife to stay out of the basement for a few weeks. [​IMG]

Use pine shavings. Change them frequently. Make sure the feeders and waterers stay clean. Make sure the shavings don't get wet.

Chicks in a brooder get progressively stinkier and messier. I usually can tolerate about 4 weeks before mine have to move out. It also depends on how many are in your brooder. More chicks equals more stink. They also get dusty as they start to feather out. Seriously, it might just be easier to put them someplace your wife doesn't go.

3. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Alfalfa pellets.

The stuff is amazing. I had been using wood stove pellets, but the alfalfa pellets are awesome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by