1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Smell from sand in my run!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GSPx2, Sep 17, 2013.

1. GSPx2

GSPx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    I put sand in my run a few weeks ago. I clean it 2 - 3 times a week and turn the sand once a week. I noticed for the past couple of days that it is starting to smell. The sand has been damp and it has been cold so it hasn't dried out for a while now. I do not have a roof over the run so when it rains it gets soaked. Does damp sand start to smell and what can I do to fix the problem?

2. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Yes, wet sand will start to smell after while, unless you can clean 100% of the poop out of it. The type of sand also make a difference. Finer sand like play sand will retain moisture better than river sand (little rocks / pebbles). I put an aluminum roof over my run to keep everything dry - I got sick of the mud, so I put in sand and a roof at the same time. In the winter, I wrap the run in clear vinyl to keep the snow out and stop the wind.

3. k4eqh

k4eqh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Waterloo, Alabama 35677
    They make a powder for use in Horse stalls that I use in my Pheasant and Peafowl runs....it reacts with urine and takes away the
    smell of ammonia...comes in a 40 pound bag and cost about $12.00 here locally. It is called "PDZ", Vet approved, made by PDZ
    Company LLC, spokane, Washington 99201, 1-800-367-1534, and you can go to www.sweetpdz.com It is a natural earth product,
    Premium Grade Clinoptilolite. States on the bag it is All Natural , safe for the enfvironment, can be added to compost piles, stall
    bedding.............what more could you ask for? Hope this helps.............tom turner (zip)

4. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    K4eqh, any issues if chickens or ducks eat the PDZ? I have heard good things about it in poop boards and such, but have always worried what happens if they eat it.

5. c2chicks

c2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Also, make sure your sand is deep enough. When I had only a couple inches it smelled. I added enough to bring it up to 4-6" and no smell.

6. k4eqh

k4eqh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Waterloo, Alabama 35677
    Thomasboyle............from what it says on the bag, it is a natural product and will not affect animals that may ingest it. Here is what it says in the add: you can go from there....better yet, go to their web site and look at the product. If you dont have the web or are still
    having problems let me know and I can mail you what I get off the web. Here is their quote:

Sweet PDZ is the leading stall freshener on the market and is the odor control and deodorizer of choice for thousands of horse, pet and livestock owners. Sweet PDZ is an all-natural, non-hazardous and non-toxic mineral. - See more at: http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store...HtnPGQ1rkCFWXZQgodMmkA0w#sthash.XpZxUv0N.dpuf

This is the best I can do for you at this time....unless you need more info....let me know....I do NOT represent this product in any way,
    but use it here on my bird farm, especially when "city folk" are coming to visit.......heh heh heh .....best 2 U

k4eqh ............tom...............zip

7. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    I've used PDZ for about 2 months now in my coop, and I notice that it actually smells nice and fresh every day - even on a muggy, humid day like today after last night's rain.

8. k4eqh

k4eqh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Waterloo, Alabama 35677
    snOwwhite, Same here, I have used PDZ for about 6 months, and have had no issues with it. been thinking about adding a couple of cups full in the cat litter box and see if

it helps out there to, but havnt tried it as of yet.....cant hurt.........................k4eqh.............zip

9. farmgirlroots

farmgirlroots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Oregon
    My Coop
    My sand run started to get smelly this last spring. We put a roof over it and that pretty much fixed the problem. I do use PDZ and scoop poo daily.

10. k4eqh

k4eqh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Waterloo, Alabama 35677
    Try PDZ available from your nearest feed store, used in horse stalls.....works great...................k4eqh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by