Smelly eggs

ZoomuKeeper

Songster
Jul 25, 2018
Near Live Oak Florida
I have been raising chickens and ducks and geese for 15 years. This is my first time with quail. I took fresh laid eggs less than a week old and put them in my incubator to hatch out. With in a few hours they smelled like a rotten egg. Is this normal? I have never had this issue with chicken, duck or geese eggs. I have 20 eggs in the incubator. They have been there a week now and the smell has not gotten worse or better.

Yes, check for cracks before you incubate next. If you see any, then melt some wax and put that one the hole. And you should always incubate more then 2 eggs, yo should expect 50% hatch rate, so if you have 2, expect only one to hatch. Then you will have e alone baby which is never good.

And you should always incubate more then 2 eggs, yo should expect 50% hatch rate, so if you have 2, expect only one to hatch. Then you will have e alone baby which is never good.

I thought it was 20 in the incubator, but only 2 causing the smell :confused:

Ok, day 17 in the incubator, I put them in lock down, in a few hours 2 hatched. Then I researched and found a great reference site https://incubatorwarehouse.com/how-long-to-hatch-an-egg. According to this site the rest of the eggs are late. How long do I wait before I pull the eggs. I tried to candle them lol that was a joke. today is day 19
I used to call my hatch on day 20 or 21. Now that I'm a lot better at candling, I call hatch 24 hours after the last chick has hatched if there's no signs of life in the remaining eggs.

Back
Top Bottom