Smoke and Chickens. Should I move my hens inside?

What would you do with dangerous air quality?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pics

Starburst

Jesus Loves You
May 25, 2020
Western Washington
Hi, everyone! Where I am in Washington, the air quality is lingering between Very Unhealthy and Dangerous. It's very hard to see outside because of all of the smoke, and I can't go out there without getting asthma. My chickens are troopers and handling it fairly well, but I'm still concerned about their health. Do you have any tips for helping my chickens handle the smoke outdoors, or do you recommend I move them inside immediately? Or do you think they'll be fine as it is? Also, are there any red flags I should look for in my flock if they're not handling it well? And what I should do should their health decrease? Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

Last edited:
Hope everyone is fairing okay. I'm reading all these posts in hopes of learning in case I need it in the future. I've been thru "raining ash" here in Florida, but I luckily didn't have chickens at the time. Good luck to everyone & hope things improve for you all :hugs

I live in E. WA we have been living with fires and smoke issues for more than 5 years, but the last 5 have been the worst. I have not done anything special with the birds, mainly because chickens don't like the unfamiliar.

This is going to sound shallow, but if anyone has seen the KUWTK where the family get chickens and the temp drops to the 40's in LA and they bring the chickens into the house, putting them in the bath tub, so they don't get cold. That is what it makes me think of. This whole thing will pass. try and keep things as normal and familiar for them as possible.

Mine are staying out, but I'm fortunate that most of the smoke seems to be staying out of my immediate area. It only got bad today but the chickens didn't show signs of distress or upset, so I let them be.
Yes, that's my problem. The smoke level is 'poor' but the chickens aren't disturbed. I'm worried about long term effects

Yes, that's my problem. The smoke level is 'poor' but the chickens aren't disturbed. I'm worried about long term effects

Unfortunately they'll need to deal with whatever long term effects this might have, no way am I bringing 11 chickens inside the house (it'd be stressful for them and us) and the garage isn't that much better of an option.

Super hazy today but seems to be a little less particulate matter. I'm down to my last couple N95 construction grade masks so wearing those anytime we're out (still gotta clean the coop and walk the dogs). Other than that just trying to stay inside as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom