Smokers Paradise (for all the smokers and BBQ lovers)

Pics
I looked at those and almost bought one but ended up bringing home a Traeger (which works well for my currently busy schedule). Was there a learning curve to getting the Kamado the "right" temperature for what you are doing?

It's not that hard to control the temperature. I am able to use the cut cherry wood from my yard to smoke my meat. It is very sufficient and save a lot of fuse. If you have fruit tree and like to experience, buy 1 you will like it.

Kamados hold temp very steadily because of the insulation and mass, and there are a handful of digital controllers for the Kamados that depending on model can be controlled from anywhere so long as it and you have an internet connection. Those monitor meat and grill temp and can do things like start to lower grill temp as the meat is almost done.

I have a Flame Boss and it works perfectly, part of me wishes I had gone a different route because some will let you monitor the grill plus multiple pieces of meat and at times I will do multiple pork shoulders or I can see doing one shoulder and one brisket at the same time.

Kamados can be expensive if you buy one with accessory options though.

Hope I'm not too late to join you all!

We recently got a gas smoker and have been trying our hand at smoking meats on it (pork butt, ribs, brisket & chicken so far). Things have turned out pretty well but chicken seems to be a problem for us.

DH tried smoking a whole chicken and even though it reached an internal temp of 165*, it didn't seem thoroughly cooked and he finished it in the oven (where it dried out).

I thought maybe leg quarters would be easier but ran into a similar issue...it reached "done" internally but looked a bit uncooked and chewy so I finished it in the oven. I baked it until it was fall off the bone done and pulled it apart to use as chicken salad (which had a nice smoky taste).

Any tips for smoking chicken? (Sorry if this is a repeat of something in the previous 15 pages of the thread.)

Good Morning N F C
frow.gif

Good to see you again
cool.png

I just overcook the chicken , but then again I am doing yardbird, so they tend to be a bit chewy to start with.
Enjoy your smoker and don't forget that carrots and onions taste real good smoked with your meat of choice.
Scott

Good Morning N F C
frow.gif

Good to see you again
cool.png

I just overcook the chicken , but then again I am doing yardbird, so they tend to be a bit chewy to start with.
Enjoy your smoker and don't forget that carrots and onions taste real good smoked with your meat of choice.
Scott

Thanks Scott!

Thighs need to go to 175f to improve texture, 165f is good for breast.

Smoke will make for some "pink" in chicken often interpreted as underdone.

The drying out is probably because it was cut, and recooked, that gave all the moisture an escape route. Did it have a chance to rest before the first cut into it?

Thighs need to go to 175f to improve texture, 165f is good for breast.

Smoke will make for some "pink" in chicken often interpreted as underdone.

The drying out is probably because it was cut, and recooked, that gave all the moisture an escape route. Did it have a chance to rest before the first cut into it?

The whole chicken DH cooked was cut into then finished in the oven...makes sense it dried out.

The leg quarters were not dry but they weren't totally cooked. Once I finished them in the oven they were good (I made smoked chicken salad with them).

Hi all!

Sorry I haven’t been around and have neglected this thread. We no longer have chickens, it’s a long story, but we haven’t had any for about 6 months. I do miss them and all their personalities, I also miss the fresh eggs. Store bought eggs suck, although I do find Alfesco Farms Pastured eggs are close to fresh eggs. So I haven’t stopped smoking.... wanted to post a few thing. First is the pot pie I made last night, an antelope pot pie. Got the antelope from a friend, had never had antelope. It was so flipping good. I made my base with Organic chicken stock, a little smoke Gouda and corn starch. No heavy cream in this recipe. Here’s a shot of it finished, it was so tasty!

Attachments

• 2A5C1C9E-22E7-4262-81C2-890068FFB46C.jpeg
    2A5C1C9E-22E7-4262-81C2-890068FFB46C.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 4
also wanted to post this link to my new favorite brine recipe, it’s a dry brine. I only do this brine now for all things poultry related, nothing beats this recipe. Gives you the crispiest skin and moist juicy meat. I have had my brine on the birds for up to two or three days, I would say the sweet spot is two days. So easy and good....

How to Dry Brine Turkey Recipe:
Dry Brine Turkey

Dry-Brine-Turkey-Recipe-for-the-best-Thanksgiving-Turkey.jpg

Author:
Kelly from Primally Inspired
Serves:about ½ cup of dry brine
Save Print

Recipe: Dry Brine Turkey Mix. A touch of orange and maple added to the traditional Thanksgiving flavors is a delight to the tastebuds!

Ingredients
  • ¼ cup coarse sea salt (I use THIS)
  • 1 tablespoon maple sugar (my fav because it adds a touch of wonderful maple flavor, but if you can’t find it, you can use brown sugar or coconut sugar. I get my maple sugar HERE)
  • 2 tablespoons orange zest
  • 2 teaspoons dried sage
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder

Instructions
  1. Mix all the ingredients together.
How to Use Dry Brine:
  1. *Use 1 tablespoon of dry brine for every 5 pounds of meat* Pat dry the outside and inside of the turkey. Then season the entire outside and inside cavity using the dry brine. Don't forget to loosen some of the skin and season directly on the meat, too, especially on the breasts.
  2. Refrigerate, loosely covered, for at least 12 hours up to 72 hours.
I have never covered mine, usually just put the brine on the bird and toss it in the fridge. Even if you do this for 30 minutes before cooking, it will make a difference. Enjoy.

So whatcha all smokin?

Attachments

• DCC3DD62-3999-45EB-9FAB-138CBEE56F7A.jpeg
    DCC3DD62-3999-45EB-9FAB-138CBEE56F7A.jpeg
    506.2 KB · Views: 3
Hope I'm not too late to join you all!

We recently got a gas smoker and have been trying our hand at smoking meats on it (pork butt, ribs, brisket & chicken so far). Things have turned out pretty well but chicken seems to be a problem for us.

DH tried smoking a whole chicken and even though it reached an internal temp of 165*, it didn't seem thoroughly cooked and he finished it in the oven (where it dried out).

I thought maybe leg quarters would be easier but ran into a similar issue...it reached "done" internally but looked a bit uncooked and chewy so I finished it in the oven. I baked it until it was fall off the bone done and pulled it apart to use as chicken salad (which had a nice smoky taste).

Any tips for smoking chicken? (Sorry if this is a repeat of something in the previous 15 pages of the thread.)
Welcome to the thread, sorry for the delay. For an easy never fail smoker chicken, I like a dry brine then cook at 350 for about 1 hour. I follow this for wings, thighs (bone in and skin on) and whole birds. Sometimes it might take a bit more time if you have a big bird.

Back
Top Bottom