Smokey Pearl Color outcome!

This was super helpful!! I really appreciate your info! I left out one important word with our one and only rooster (for now) Cochin Bantam šŸ«£
What would you say he is? I ordered him from Meyer and he resembles every bit of what I ordered. He didnā€™t have that feathery feet as my standard Cochins big while researching some donā€™t have the super full and thick.

Yeah, speaking as someone who breeds Cochin bantams and has owned Cochins of varying quality for a little more than a decade now, he's definitely not a Cochin bantam, either. That's a mix up of some kind. From Meyer, my first thought would have been Green Queen or Cookies and Cream (though I don't know if they have a bantam version of the latter). The plumage coloring is for the most part correct for what a Mottled Cochin would have, yes, but everything else about him is wrong for the breed.

Hatchery bantam Cochins can stray a bit from the perfectly round and fluffy shape that Cochins are meant to have due to the less selective breeding practices in hatcheries... but not by that much. Even the worst bantam Cochins I have seen from hatcheries don't end up with incorrect dominant traits such as crests, extra toes, or beards, traits that pure Cochins could never have and that could only result from crossing them to something else. Comparing him to the picture you pulled up from Meyer, you can also see that he has the improper shape for even their Cochins. Cochins generally do not have distinct tail feathers, instead having what is called a 'cushion' of fluff on their butt ends, and even those poorly bred to the point where their tail feathers stick out past that cushion do not have a large fanned tail like your rooster.

Yeah, speaking as someone who breeds Cochin bantams and has owned Cochins of varying quality for a little more than a decade now, he's definitely not a Cochin bantam, either. That's a mix up of some kind. From Meyer, my first thought would have been Green Queen or Cookies and Cream (though I don't know if they have a bantam version of the latter). The plumage coloring is for the most part correct for what a Mottled Cochin would have, yes, but everything else about him is wrong for the breed.

Hatchery bantam Cochins can stray a bit from the perfectly round and fluffy shape that Cochins are meant to have due to the less selective breeding practices in hatcheries... but not by that much. Even the worst bantam Cochins I have seen from hatcheries don't end up with incorrect dominant traits such as crests, extra toes, or beards, traits that pure Cochins could never have and that could only result from crossing them to something else. Comparing him to the picture you pulled up from Meyer, you can also see that he has the improper shape for even their Cochins. Cochins generally do not have distinct tail feathers, instead having what is called a 'cushion' of fluff on their butt ends, and even those poorly bred to the point where their tail feathers stick out past that cushion do not have a large fanned tail like your rooster.
Wanna know something crazy. I had originally ordered a cookies and cream. I had called them with questions about him and and they said this.

Hello Ashley!

Thank you for providing the photos of your handsome man! He does appear to be a Mottled Cochin Bantam based on his straight comb and no crest. I did go ahead and issue you a refund for him since we sent the wrong breed. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

No wonder I have chicks with crazy tufts and crests. šŸ¤Æ I have to feed yet but before Iā€™m going to go throw rocks and curse a lot! šŸ«£

Wanna know something crazy. I had originally ordered a cookies and cream. I had called them with questions about him and and they said this.

Hello Ashley!

Thank you for providing the photos of your handsome man! He does appear to be a Mottled Cochin Bantam based on his straight comb and no crest. I did go ahead and issue you a refund for him since we sent the wrong breed. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

No wonder I have chicks with crazy tufts and crests. šŸ¤Æ I have to feed yet but before Iā€™m going to go throw rocks and curse a lot! šŸ«£
Then I think they probably DID send the chick you ordered in the first place, and that pretty much solves the mystery!

When I look on Meyers' website, the Cookies and Cream are not listed as bantams, but several of the reviews do mention them as being small birds.

Then I think they probably DID send the chick you ordered in the first place, and that pretty much solves the mystery!

When I look on Meyers' website, the Cookies and Cream are not listed as bantams, but several of the reviews do mention them as being small birds.
Todd, the Dā€™Uccle feels right at home with all the fuzzy cheeks around šŸ˜‚

After looking into chickens I believe I got a Green Queen. Excited but super confused on where to go from here now šŸ˜‚

Attachments

• IMG_3078.jpeg
    IMG_3078.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 10

Would you consider this a topknot even though they get it about a month of age and loose it about a month after?

Attachments

• IMG_3302.jpeg
    IMG_3302.jpeg
    473.7 KB · Views: 6
Would you consider this a topknot even though they get it about a month of age and loose it about a month after?
From that angle, I'm not sure.

I am pretty sure there is a crest (probably the same thing as "topknot" in this case) on some pullets in the first post of the thread (first and third photos, dark-legged birds with small combs.)

Back
Top Bottom