Smokey Pearl Color outcome!

Ashleyboz

Songster
Oct 27, 2023
We have been hatching our Smokey Pearl hen eggs that have been running with our Black Mottled Cochin bantam. We are getting what looks like our Smokey pearl hens with the yellow legs and feet and red combs. Then we are getting some with dark feed and tiny combs and paint looking. While watching them it seems the ones that resemble Smokey pearls are larger and act like roosters. The smaller dark legged ones are chill and mind their business. Could the cross happen to be sex linked? 🤷🏼‍♀️ Or am I jumping the gun? I do know with the rooster and Smokey’s we will get paints. I did notice some are getting red to orange spots also. Could anyone tell me what I could expect?

Attachments

• IMG_3241.png
    IMG_3241.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3213.jpeg
    IMG_3213.jpeg
    450.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3189.jpeg
    IMG_3189.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2761.jpeg
    IMG_2761.jpeg
    665.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2760.jpeg
    IMG_2760.jpeg
    582 KB · Views: 37
If it was a Cochin hen and a dark-skinned rooster, then you would have made skin color sexlinks. But the opposite cross should not. Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, there shouldn't be any dark skin in any of the offspring from a Mottled Cochin rooster, as he should be pure for light skin and pass that on to all of his offspring. 🤔 Do you have any pictures of him, especially that show his legs? Pictures of the smokey pearl hen might help as well, as I'm a bit puzzled where crests and extra toes (and possibly a beard on that last chick?) may have come from in this cross as well.

As for the reddish spots, that's just color leakage. Color leakage is typical in mixes of different colors. Since smokey pearls are a hybrid already and not a pure breed, most likely it's from the smokey pearl side unless there are some reddish tones on your Mottled Cochin.

We are getting what looks like our Smokey pearl hens with the yellow legs and feet and red combs. Then we are getting some with dark feed and tiny combs and paint looking. While watching them it seems the ones that resemble Smokey pearls are larger and act like roosters. The smaller dark legged ones are chill and mind their business. Could the cross happen to be sex linked?

You might have sexlinked cross there. There is a gene for dark vs. light skin that is on the Z sex chromsome, which means it can sometimes be used to make sexlinks. Using a dark-legged rooster with a light-legged hen can produce daughters with dark legs and sons with light legs.

A few other genes can make the leg color be confusing one way or the other, meaning offspring from some crosses are easy to sex by leg color and offspring from some other crosses are not (even if it seems they should be.)

If yours are coming out as two distinct groups, with all signs pointing to the light legs as males and the dark legs as females, I think you probably do have a set of rooster and hens that produce clearly sexable chicks. The chicks you posted do indeed look to be dark-legged females and light-legged males (that fellow with the nice red comb and wattles is pretty obvious!)

If it was a Cochin hen and a dark-skinned rooster, then you would have made skin color sexlinks. But the opposite cross should not. Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, there shouldn't be any dark skin in any of the offspring from a Mottled Cochin rooster, as he should be pure for light skin and pass that on to all of his offspring. 🤔 Do you have any pictures of him, especially that show his legs? Pictures of the smokey pearl hen might help as well, as I'm a bit puzzled where crests and extra toes (and possibly a beard on that last chick?) may have come from in this cross as well.
I agree that the stated breeds should not be producing this result, and it might be informative to see photos of them.

You might have sexlinked cross there. There is a gene for dark vs. light skin that is on the Z sex chromsome, which means it can sometimes be used to make sexlinks. Using a dark-legged rooster with a light-legged hen can produce daughters with dark legs and sons with light legs.

A few other genes can make the leg color be confusing one way or the other, meaning offspring from some crosses are easy to sex by leg color and offspring from some other crosses are not (even if it seems they should be.)

If yours are coming out as two distinct groups, with all signs pointing to the light legs as males and the dark legs as females, I think you probably do have a set of rooster and hens that produce clearly sexable chicks. The chicks you posted do indeed look to be dark-legged females and light-legged males (that fellow with the nice red comb and wattles is pretty obvious!)

I agree that the stated breeds should not be producing this result, and it might be informative to see photos of them.
Absolutely! We’ve hatched 6 clutches and all have been yellow or dark legs and now seem to also see distinct paint and Smokey pearl speck look. Unless I’m totally missing something here but the only other white bird we have to throw these babies would be the white cochin..

Attachments

• IMG_7772.jpeg
    IMG_7772.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7768.jpeg
    IMG_7768.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7767.jpeg
    IMG_7767.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7755.jpeg
    IMG_7755.jpeg
    966.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7766.jpeg
    IMG_7766.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7771.jpeg
    IMG_7771.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7875.jpeg
    IMG_7875.jpeg
    547.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8071.jpeg
    IMG_8071.jpeg
    906 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8089.jpeg
    IMG_8089.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8330.jpeg
    IMG_8330.jpeg
    833.5 KB · Views: 33
Okay, so your rooster is not a pure Cochin. I honestly don't think he's got any Cochin in him at all based on his traits. He looks more to me like a d'Uccle mix, and likely not a first generation mix based on his traits. He is the source of the little crests, the beards, and the extra toes on the chicks.

The smokey pearl has light shanks and so does the rooster, but that being a sexlinked dominant trait, the rooster could be split for it. If he is the only rooster, then he would have to be as otherwise you would not see dark-shanked chicks at all. So about half of his daughters should have dark shanks like you're seeing, with the other half having light shanks like their brothers. This means you would not be able to sex all of his chicks this way, but you can be pretty confident that any dark-shanked chicks like those pictured are female.

White Cochins are white due to a different gene than the smokey pearl, recessive white, so a White Cochin's offspring would not be white unless bred to another white bird. The smokey pearl is white because of the dominant white gene, which lets flecks of black through, and that gene will also let red pigment leak through as you're seeing in some of the chicks. The only other bird I see in your pictures that could produce similar chicks is the red hen with white tail feathers. She also has the dominant white gene, and, when bred to a mostly black rooster like the one pictured, could produce chicks that are mostly white with black flecks and some red leaking through. So either the smokey pearl or the red hen is the mother if those are all of the possible mothers pictured.

As for what to expect from those chicks, I would expect either white with black flecks or white with black flecks and red patches. The male with the red starting to emerge especially is likely to develop a bit more of that red as he matures, mostly in his hackle, shoulder, and saddle area. Pullets that develop red are more likely to develop it more spread out, possibly concentrated to the chest if at all.

Absolutely! We’ve hatched 6 clutches and all have been yellow or dark legs and now seem to also see distinct paint and Smokey pearl speck look. Unless I’m totally missing something here but the only other white bird we have to throw these babies would be the white cochin..

For what @pipdzipdnreadytogo said, I agree with most of it.

The smokey pearl has light shanks and so does the rooster, but that being a sexlinked dominant trait, the rooster could be split for it. If he is the only rooster, then he would have to be as otherwise you would not see dark-shanked chicks at all. So about half of his daughters should have dark shanks like you're seeing, with the other half having light shanks like their brothers. This means you would not be able to sex all of his chicks this way, but you can be pretty confident that any dark-shanked chicks like those pictured are female.
@Ashleyboz have you seen any light-shanked females, in any of the clutches?

Daughters get their light or dark shanks just from their father, not their mother. Since he has produced at least one daughter with dark shanks we know he has the gene for dark shanks. If he has also produced at least one daughter with light shanks we will know he also has the gene for light shanks. Pipd thinks the rooster appears to have light shanks, I think they look dark in the photos-- that might be a difference in the screen each person is looking at, which is why I'm trying to figure it out from the leg colors of his daughters.

Okay, so your rooster is not a pure Cochin. I honestly don't think he's got any Cochin in him at all based on his traits. He looks more to me like a d'Uccle mix, and likely not a first generation mix based on his traits. He is the source of the little crests, the beards, and the extra toes on the chicks.

White Cochins are white due to a different gene than the smokey pearl, recessive white, so a White Cochin's offspring would not be white unless bred to another white bird. The smokey pearl is white because of the dominant white gene, which lets flecks of black through, and that gene will also let red pigment leak through as you're seeing in some of the chicks. The only other bird I see in your pictures that could produce similar chicks is the red hen with white tail feathers. She also has the dominant white gene, and, when bred to a mostly black rooster like the one pictured, could produce chicks that are mostly white with black flecks and some red leaking through. So either the smokey pearl or the red hen is the mother if those are all of the possible mothers pictured.

As for what to expect from those chicks, I would expect either white with black flecks or white with black flecks and red patches. The male with the red starting to emerge especially is likely to develop a bit more of that red as he matures, mostly in his hackle, shoulder, and saddle area. Pullets that develop red are more likely to develop it more spread out, possibly concentrated to the chest if at all.
This was super helpful!! I really appreciate your info! I left out one important word with our one and only rooster (for now) Cochin Bantam 🫣

This was super helpful!! I really appreciate your info! I left out one important word with our one and only rooster (for now) Cochin Bantam 🫣
Cochin Bantam should be just like any other Cochin, just smaller than the big ones.

They should match for leg color, number of toes, lack of crest, lack of beard, etc.

Cochin Bantam should be just like any other Cochin, just smaller than the big ones.

They should match for leg color, number of toes, lack of crest, lack of beard, etc.
What would you say he is? I ordered him from Meyer and he resembles every bit of what I ordered. He didn’t have that feathery feet as my standard Cochins big while researching some don’t have the super full and thick.

Attachments

• IMG_3299.png
    IMG_3299.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7875.jpeg
    IMG_7875.jpeg
    547.2 KB · Views: 38
What would you say he is? I ordered him from Meyer and he resembles every bit of what I ordered. He didn’t have that feathery feet as my standard Cochins big while researching some don’t have the super full and thick.
Did you specifically order a mottled Cochin bantam? Or was he part of some assortment?

He does appear to have a beard (which no Cochin should ever have.)

In some of your photos it looks like he might have a small crest (which no Cochin should have either.) Some of your chicks definitely have a crest, and they must have inherited it from one parent or the other. Crest is a dominant gene, so the crest should be visible on at least one parent of each crested chick.

You could check how many toes the rooster has. Cochins should have 4 toes on each foot (3 pointing forward, 1 pointing backward.) Some breeds have a 5th toe (an extra toe that points backward, sometimes partly joined to the usual backward-pointing toe.)

He might be one of Meyers' colored-egg bantam mixes:
https://meyerhatchery.com/products/Sage-Gem-Bantam-Day-Old-Chicks-p217964302
"a wide variety of feathering appearance...Chicks may or may not be crested, or have beards and muffs around the face, and may have feathered legs."

https://meyerhatchery.com/products/Green-Queen-Bantam-Day-Old-Chicks-p296574070
"No two Bantam Green Queens look alike and features can include feathered legs, crests, muffs, 5 toes..."

Back
Top Bottom