Smooth silkie...

chickie10

Chirping
Oct 7, 2019
I ordered show quality silkie eggs that hatched back in June. We ordered show quality silkie eggs in the past from the same place and got true show quality silkies from them. We do not show our chickens, but love the silkies so go all out on the eggs. Anyhow! This time we hatched 4. 3 are true silkies, though 1 has red coming through on the comb and wattles and another has smooth feathers and also red comb. With regards to the smooth feather one, I’m also unsure if the color is typical silkie. Do you think it just has mixing down the line somewhere to bring out the smooth feathering or potentially some other mix altogether? These eggs were from my pet chicken btw, not local, eBay or Craigslist!

Attachments

• C6BFF967-E978-4D1F-BAC6-590BF8A7BD20.jpeg
    C6BFF967-E978-4D1F-BAC6-590BF8A7BD20.jpeg
    558.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 89ACD875-5FD1-42DB-97DE-425BE9BEDA32.jpeg
    89ACD875-5FD1-42DB-97DE-425BE9BEDA32.jpeg
    479.8 KB · Views: 14
He is a handsome guy!

Please just overlook this as I'm just thinking out loud and don't mean anything by this, but it almost looks like Polish is mixed in (on occasion or in the past) to keep that awesome crest. I know with my hatchery silkies, both hens and roosters have smaller crest. With my Silkie hen that came from breeder eggs, her crest is fabulous. I doubt that's the case here, but just sharing my thoughts 💜 I love Silkies

Edited to add that the crest is the only thing that I was thinking about in my odd thoughts 😂

Edited again: Is this considered a Satin? I never really learned much about the other feather types, so of course I'm possibly wrong

I am really quite smitten with this little one! I did not think it was a roo, however. If it is we may be sending him off as I have 3 that work well with my flock, but we got one from day olds that’s a roo ( was supposed to be a hen) and hatched out at least one other of our own. 😑
Wow! That’s a lot of roos! Hopefully it turns out to be a hen then! :fl

He is a handsome guy!

Please just overlook this as I'm just thinking out loud and don't mean anything by this, but it almost looks like Polish is mixed in (on occasion or in the past) to keep that awesome crest. I know with my hatchery silkies, both hens and roosters have smaller crest. With my Silkie hen that came from breeder eggs, her crest is fabulous. I doubt that's the case here, but just sharing my thoughts 💜 I love Silkies

Edited to add that the crest is the only thing that I was thinking about in my odd thoughts 😂

Edited again: Is this considered a Satin? I never really learned much about the other feather types, so of course I'm possibly wrong
He is a handsome guy!

I’m honestly not sure, hence my original post lol! We have also wondered if there is polish mixed in ourselves though. That said , all of my “show quality” silkies have such beautiful full crests. We don’t have any silkies that weren’t hatched from show quality eggs from my pet chicken. I don’t know what color this one is either. Some kind of partridge? Is it a silkie color? It’s a mystery chicken!

Back
Top Bottom