sn0wwhite's Wichita Coop for the Twin Cities

I had the whole thing basically framed up before I started putting the wire up, I actually started putting wire up because my wife couldn't keep up with painting boards for me. I didnt actually start sandwiching until the very end, since it was sturdy enough with the just the first set of 2x4s. (I sandwiched all my hardware cloth between 2 2x4s) If you want any close up pictures of anything let me know, or I will try to help with any questions if needed, since I just finished almost the same coop. Looks like a good start.

What I was thinking...but am not familiar with this plan...but normally you would think that you would build a basic frame... then add mesh... then cover edges of mesh with trim.

That mesh may get in your way...or damaged...whilst building the rest of the framing.
If you screwed it on, I'd take it off...or at least not put any more up until your frame is complete.

Do these plans come with any instructions as to order of fabrication?

I had the whole thing basically framed up before I started putting the wire up, I actually started putting wire up because my wife couldn't keep up with painting boards for me. I didnt actually start sandwiching until the very end, since it was sturdy enough with the just the first set of 2x4s. (I sandwiched all my hardware cloth between 2 2x4s) If you want any close up pictures of anything let me know, or I will try to help with any questions if needed, since I just finished almost the same coop. Looks like a good start.

What I was thinking...but am not familiar with this plan...but normally you would think that you would build a basic frame... then add mesh... then cover edges of mesh with trim.

That mesh may get in your way...or damaged...whilst building the rest of the framing.
If you screwed it on, I'd take it off...or at least not put any more up until your frame is complete.

Do these plans come with any instructions as to order of fabrication?

Hmmmm.... You could be right. I have the Sketchup plans from the baldesarriclan people and downloaded the program so that I can see the detailed construction and measurements of everything - BUT, it doesn't really have a step by step plan of what to do first and what to do next. I've just been looking at other people's posts who built it when they've posted pictures. It seems pretty obvious that they do the base, then the bottom frame, then the upright part of the frame but from there people's pictures seem to jump ahead to walls and roof nearly complete so I've missed seeing where the wire comes in.

Obviously I have a tendency to over think this.

Stormrider1, would you be willing to share a general idea of the order you did things?

The first couple pages of storm riders build thread show photos taken often, that might help with your sequence....at least for most of the framing.

You can see the he did the bottom horizontal frame, then the verticals, then the rafters and top horizontals before putting any mesh on...at least that's what it looks like to me.

Tho I am not sure how he got the mesh down between the bottom horizontal piece and the inner upright verticals...or maybe it's notched and attached inside at the bottom??:

Last edited:
From what I can tell in the picture I sandwiched mine the opposite way, I didnt have 2x4s side by side I stacked them. And I did notch around the cornors on the bottom and sandwiched that with a 2x4 on the inside.

Ok, I'm back to studying your pictures like crazy, stormrider! Did you get the sketchup plans online or just go from photos? In any case, it looks great!

Can you tell me the degree of angle I'll need for the next step of putting rafters on?

Last edited:
So, I think using the wire as I go is okay. Maybe unconventional, but I don't feel like it's causing any problems. At least not so far. Daughter forgot where she was painting and put 4 coats on already painted pieces instead of new pieces, so we continued with the outside frame.

Tomorrow I want to start rafters.

Pretty color. I think it will end up looking really nice! We are hoping to finish ours this weekend. Best of luck to you! :)

Ok, I'm back to studying your pictures like crazy, stormrider! Did you get the sketchup plans online or just go from photos? In any case, it looks great!

Can you tell me the degree of angle I'll need for the next step of putting rafters on?

The angle is determined by the height of the verticals front to back, just clamp the rafter in the correct position and screw it on.

This where your mesh might get in the way. Seriously, you want to finish the frame before adding mesh.

Oh you are probably right there. The wire is barely tacked in place by my crappy staple gun, so I should be able to move and notch it as needed. I'm not the best at notching, this is my first attempt yesterday:

I'm hoping that bigger hole won't come back to haunt me.

When I did the rafters, I made the top of the rafter 2x4, flush with the top of the front edge of the upright 2x4. I tried to get a picture but you couldnt see it with the roof already on. Hope that kind of makes sense.

I trimmed a little too big on the first notch or two also, it gets easier as you do them.

Back
Top Bottom