snacks for chickens

Sacri

Chirping
Mar 22, 2019
Savannah Georgia
CABBAGE:
I had read a post about hanging a head of cabbage up with rope but a few commenters said their chickens got tangled up so here is what I did: First, I just ran a rope through a few leaves. Once they realized the cabbage wouldn't hurt them (silly chickens) they ate it really fast so I moved on to another option - a flowerpot! There is dirt in the bottom to add weight so they can't knock it over.
IMG_0307.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG

MELON:
For this I simply cut it into fours and put it out there
IMG_0309.JPG

ICE CORN
On really hot days I make put this out there.... I put canned corn into the bottom of a paper bowl, then I add water and freeze it. To use I just turn it over and peal off the paper plate! Cool, fun, entertaining and filling treat!!
IMG_0311.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0310.JPG
    IMG_0310.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 6
Mine are spoiled rotten picky things lol. They won't do cabbage or carrots unless cooked and seasoned. (They have refined palates, I suppose!)

They do love treats though. In summer, I fill a black rubber feed pan with water and dump in a bag of frozen peas. Oh man, they go nuts! Think bobbing for apples. They dive into the water which cools them down also. I do it with frozen grapes, halved, and occasionally a small bag of frozen berries from the dollar tree.

Pasta is our other hit. Spaghetti noodles, cooked and cooled in the fridge. Drop into a pan of water or just toss them out! Worm slurping ensues. Some of my girls like certain treats, some are picky. Younger birds usually are picky. Mine generally like any meat they can get, fruit except for bananas, and tomatoes. A couple love apples, and my rooster's favorite treat is Bob Evans' Biscuits. Yes, they have to be Bob Evan's. My dad is a manager and occasionally sneaks one home for him. That's one rare thing my roo will NOT share. He runs and hides to eat his snack.

Mine are spoiled rotten picky things lol. They won't do cabbage or carrots unless cooked and seasoned. (They have refined palates, I suppose!)

They do love treats though. In summer, I fill a black rubber feed pan with water and dump in a bag of frozen peas. Oh man, they go nuts! Think bobbing for apples. They dive into the water which cools them down also. I do it with frozen grapes, halved, and occasionally a small bag of frozen berries from the dollar tree.

Pasta is our other hit. Spaghetti noodles, cooked and cooled in the fridge. Drop into a pan of water or just toss them out! Worm slurping ensues. Some of my girls like certain treats, some are picky. Younger birds usually are picky. Mine generally like any meat they can get, fruit except for bananas, and tomatoes. A couple love apples, and my rooster's favorite treat is Bob Evans' Biscuits. Yes, they have to be Bob Evan's. My dad is a manager and occasionally sneaks one home for him. That's one rare thing my roo will NOT share. He runs and hides to eat his snack.
That is too funny! I have to try the bobbing for pees

When I harvest my gardens and pull out the plants, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. I put the whole plants in their pens and they gobble them up in no time. I grow greens for them such as cabbage, lettuce, collards, kale, etc.

Back
Top Bottom