Snake ID please

Garter snake. When they get big they can be aggressive and readily strike out at you or the chickens (Poofball got attacked by one once, no injury or wound though, it just struck at her and she jumped in the air). I don't really like handling them for this reason when they are large. But even at their largest size they are small and harmless to hens and people, just wash the bite and your good to go. Good snake to keep around for the garden!

Garter snake. When they get big they can be aggressive and readily strike out at you or the chickens (Poofball got attacked by one once, no injury or wound though, it just struck at her and she jumped in the air). I don't really like handling them for this reason when they are large. But even at their largest size they are small and harmless to hens and people, just wash the bite and your good to go. Good snake to keep around for the garden!
I wanna know what garter snakes you've met! 🤣 Up north they're so docile you can handle them as long as you want with no bites. I think I've only been bitten once by a garter in my whole life. They do musk heavily but are very hesitant to bite. Now black rat snakes on the other hand...I got bit 10-12 times on one arm from one of those guys!

I wanna know what garter snakes you've met! 🤣 Up north they're so docile you can handle them as long as you want with no bites. I think I've only been bitten once by a garter in my whole life. They do musk heavily but are very hesitant to bite. Now black rat snakes on the other hand...I got bit 10-12 times on one arm from one of those guys!
Rats sure are pissy. They're the king of bad attitudes next to water snakes. I remember stopping to move one out of the road once. You'd think I was trying to kill the poor hateful guy with how crabby he was. Calm down. Breathe. I'm saving your ungrateful life. 🤣

The eastern garter snake! If you step by them or hover your foot near them they strike at your boot repeatedly and don't get tired of it here. The ribbon snakes are less trigger-happy.

When I was younger I used to be able to handle them and move them around without getting bitten. Now I always get bitten no matter how careful or gentle I try to be, even with the baby snakes. People say I have a way with animals but it seems I've lost my way with snakes. I probably wouldn't pick up an eastern rat snake if i saw one.

They bite now ?
Guess they finally had enough of hillbillies making kites out of them.:D
june-bug-gif.gif

June bugs! Garter snakes are my new best friend! The nasty little bugs have a fierce bite.

Back
Top Bottom