snake just ate my chicken

Once a chicken snake had found your coop, nothing will keep him away, if you have used small enough wire and no holes anywhere, you should be fine, but you still have to meet the chicken snake on your porch on the back of your chair when you are not expecting it....lol

Bolded for emphasis. For folks with stand-alone chicken coops, it just takes a little work to keep the snakes (and: surprise-- rats and mice too!) out.

I used to live in Georgia and TX and have had experiences with 'whoa, lots of snakes' including some of the more aggressive species such as cottonmouths. I actually had someone try to hand me one, out of ignorance, once... but that's another story! I'd still welcome them around, for they are the best rodent control one could ask for, and they work for free. I respect that folks would want to remove or kill a venomous snake where they have children or pets, I really do. Protecting your children and animals is important. But the 'any kind of snake, it's dead' attitude is sad, especially since most snake predation of chickens/livestock can be avoided.

Will sulfur be ok as not to bother the chickens when they are out and about? Is that the same stuff you see at the big box hardware stores labeled "snake away" ?
That I don't know...maybe a google of 'snake away' would tell ingredients..maybe not. I think it lasts quite a long time....but maybe like some garden products looses effectiveness when rained on. I know the grasshopper stuff (the organic one) and the DE need to be re-applied after rains.

try this wire mesh we have many snakes here in Molino Fl most are not bad to have around but i have not had any get past my 2 fences HOPE THIS HELPS

OK, my question is, is there any way to run or scare them (the snakes) off or any thing I can put out. I lost one four week old bantam to a snake yesterday, and two more last night.

I'm glad I saw this post.

I am going to put out sulfur today

--and I saw in a post that putting a minnow trap near a wall can catch a snake baited or not--- so dust off the old minnow traps in the garage and put them out for snakes. Not sure if it was this thread or a different one--but thanks who ever put up the minnow trap info.

Thanks you are correct anyone know what kind this is he was at a friends house last week she was leaveing 4 work and about kissed this one.lol

on the ceiling now that is crazy well got to go tend to the garden while the little man sleeps hope you all have a great day and a snake free one .God Bless

Back
Top Bottom