snake suggestions welcome here!

jlasuzi

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
I just took my 23, 2 week old peeps out to the coop this week. Yesterday I come home to find a 4 foot black snake climbing up the door. It had reached the top of the door, I guess it was looking for a crack large enough to squeeze through. Luckily my DH had made the door tight. I have always been the snake relocater of the family, BUT when it is trying to get my girls the friendship ends there! Any suggestions on snake deterring?

Only advice I have is to keep everything clean and the grass mowed down where they can't hide and are visible. They will keep coming back you will just be able to see them sooner.

There is a product you can buy that sprinkles on the ground. Since you mention a door and a coop, I assume your chickens are contained. I wouldn't use it for free ranging birds. It smells of mothballs. I can't remember the name of the product, but anyplace you get your feed should sell it. I started using it last year after I lost a chick to a black snake. I've had no more troubles. Just sprinkle it around Outside your coop.

I have mothballs all around the coop. Placed by my snakaphobic husband. Obviously they don't work. I will also make sure I have a weapon handy at all times when visiting the peeps!

Short grass makes it easy for hawks to pick off the snakes. BB pistol or stronger can kill the snake since you too can see it.

Some people here have suggested putting spools of chicken wire or bird netting around the run, sort of like concertina wire. Apparently the snakes get caught in it.

I had some success with using ceramic bait eggs in the nest box. They were meant to entice the hens to lay, but it worked on the snake too.

This snake got into my coop that was his first mistake. His second mistake was eating my fake egg.
63768_snake_in_coop_004.jpg

I will be getting some of fake eggs ASAP! Thanks for the suggestion!

I have had great success with the "fruit tree netting"!!!
It's sold to put over fruit trees to keep birds from harming the fruit.....1/2 to 1 inch openings, light weight plastic netting......usually sold in 12' x 18' sizes.
Open, lay out flat, then loosely roll netting into a long 'tube', place netting tube on ground or hang around any possible snake entrances........they crawl through the netting, get stuck and can't escape. It REALLY works!!!!
PeepsInc had a pic posted of his sons holding up a snake net trap full of snakes.....it was posted under Predators and Pests and labeled Secret to making a snake trap.

Fake eggs and golf balls are also a good thing!!!! They do double duty, .....encourage girls to lay in that place and kill greedy snakes

Advice just in time!!!

I just went out to give my momma hen some sunflower seeds and found a 5 foot black snake crawling in the coop!
I grabbed it, it bit me, i held tight, reached for a brick and dispatched him.

My question: mom did not seem rattled AT ALL. could this snake have eaten a 3 day old chick?

89135_buff_and_7_2_day_olds.jpg

Back
Top Bottom