snake under broody!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenman7, Jun 14, 2008.

1. chickenman7

chickenman7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    I went to shut the coop the other day ad there was a snake under my broody Maren!!!!she was pecking him.The next day we moved the nest box There it is!!!Me and my cousin run to get 2 shovels, It took forever to catch it but we killed it.we bought 2 goslings to help our snake problem.
    [​IMG]
    hatcherys mark red for males right?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  2. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    HOLY COW!!!!! That snake would have been long gone by the time I came too after my dead faint!!!

3. chickenman7

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    moved the broody.It ate all but 4 eggs!!!!I think she had about 15-20.

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Holy moly, what a surprise, is she still broody after all that! I am not afraid of snakes, but they need to live elsewhere and when I'm out in daylight if I see you, you have to be in pretty plane sight and a shovel is the correct tool! Wowsa, take care and pat those goslings everyday, you are momma after all.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG] What a shocker! Poor broody hen. I'm sure she didn't like it much either! [​IMG]

I had to come back and tell you that your goslings are adorable, by the way!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  6. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    dumb question..do geese eat snakes? Is that why you bought the goslings?

7. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Yeah, what do you mean by saying that you got goslings to help your snake problem?[​IMG]

8. chickenman7

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    they can kill things like skunks

9. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    What a surprise! Wouldn't want to find a snake in my nest box, maybe I should check under my broody?!! Her eggs are never going to hatch though as I have no roo. I had found a near dead possum in my nest box couple days ago, that was bad enough, glad it couldn't bite my grandson, it was near death. I do have a snake in my yard, only seen it couple times, but never in the nest box!!

10. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Since normal geese are vegetarians, they wouldnt eat a snake, but they could probably kill one easily if it came near their nests.

Your goslings are adorable and your broody hen is a saint for staying on her eggs while there was a snake underneath her!!

chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by