1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Snakes <3 <3 <3 :)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by blueeyeddemon, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Yes, the red eastern milk snake looks familiar. The other snake near the patio and in the woods look like the ones in the bucket in the post above. I would not mind seeing another red snake.

2. kyla

kyla Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Hope, Indiana
    hahaha

3. DaikaijuTorira

DaikaijuTorira Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2012
    Bradenton, Florida

Garters, or perhaps Ribbons? They're sweet.
    We ended up with a bunch of baby Ribbon snakes at one point, over near Poughkeepsie, on a little road headed toward the mountains, we passed a pet shop. I had never been inside one back then (I was 17 at the time) so we stopped and went in. The place was horrible, almost every creature was dead or on the edge. I broke down, shaking, crying. My husband said we couldn't save them all, but we could try to help the native species. We left with all of the Grey Treefrogs, Green Anoles, and Ribbon snakes. Only 2 of the frogs and 1 of the anoles survived more than a week, the others were just too far gone, but at least the were able to die free, on a bush outside our house. The snakes, we kept a couple and took the rest to a better shop. If we had been able to keep them around long enough to make sure they were healthy, probably would have let them go, but we didn't want to risk spreading disease into the wild if they had picked up anything in the nasty place.

I mentioned the Eastern Milk Snake to my husband last night and his eyes lit up. He said he only ever saw one, tried to catch it but it got away. So, I hope you do see another, I'm sure he'd be thrilled to hear they aren't as uncommon as they once were. :)

Funny little story, my introduction to snakes on the positive side, everything before had been fear and negativity:
    Right after I met my husband we were walking through a field heading to a creek where he said there were lots of frogs when he was a child. Suddenly he put his arm up to stop me and said, "Never, ever do what I am about to do." He shoved his hand into a clump of tall grass and pulled out a snake. Then he said, "Never, ever do what I just did, that was dumb, I couldn't see it well enough to know what species it was, well, I was kind of sure, but kind of isn't good enough. Don't ever do that. Now, here... it's harmless."

4. kyla

Apr 7, 2011
    Hope, Indiana
    has anybody seen my album tht has snakes?

5. Bitterroot

Bitterroot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Montana
    I'm into ball python morphs and have a few insular boas. It's always nice to see some herp folks around.

6. badkittyamy

badkittyamy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2012
    I currently have two snakes

Star, the salmon jungle red tail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goombay, my lemon pastel Ball Python

I wish his colour had held up from when he was a baby
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. kyla

Apr 7, 2011
    Hope, Indiana
    Sigh....I wish my adoptive mom would let me have a snake. But my cats would probably kill it.

8. blueeyeddemon

blueeyeddemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2012
    South Texas
    Sorry :/ My snakes got lost :( They were both super-nice, though :D

9. LissyB

LissyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Where I used to live my brothers and I would catch garter snakes, my brother wants a corn snake but my mom won't let him... she grew up in Texas so she kinda has a phobia. But I love snakes! I always get teased when I say so though!

10. blueeyeddemon

blueeyeddemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2012
    South Texas
    Not on this thread! We all love snakes :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by