Snakes in hen house

A rake or hoe can be used with most species. Simply use metal part to hold snakes head and upper neck down. Loop approach better for fast snakes like racers. Since I do not have a loop handy most of time, when catching racers I move in taking hits and grab tail then start walking backwards dragging snake on ground until it get to tired to strike. Bites look nasty but only superficial.

Thanks dfalco, I just couldn't figure out why the snake was coiled around the roost and one leghorn hen was still there looking at the snake but the other hens had taken off. It disappears when I come in. I managed to hit it with a BB.(good shooting, huh?). After that I didn't see it again but it went under the floor of the barn feed room so it is probably still there. I may have to call a friend that is called "The Critter Getter". Maybe he can get the snake!! I can't.

A rake or hoe can be used with most species. Simply use metal part to hold snakes head and upper neck down. Loop approach better for fast snakes like racers. Since I do not have a loop handy most of time, when catching racers I move in taking hits and grab tail then start walking backwards dragging snake on ground until it get to tired to strike. Bites look nasty but only superficial.
Oh my goodness!:) I won't do that. I am a coward!!

I was scared as well the first few times. It is not bad to be afraid as shortens reaction time. It still takes care not to hurt snake while not getting bit. I have been bitten many times leaving only stories to tell. The stinky juice that comes from the anus area far more memorial.

That inadvertently catching the rat snake was deer netting. Bird netting also works. I it hard on snakes and hard to extricate snakes from it. Great-horned owls very much try to avoid the stuff.

BTW, forgot to mention this, but I also keep my feed locked up on a barn, and almost never see mice or signs of them and have never seen a snake in the barn. But I also have 3 barn cats living in there. My daughter has a similar barn, has lots of mice and black snakes and NO cats. So a bunch of barn cats might be an option for you to consider if you have mice present that might be attracting your snake.

Thank you for that info. I am worried about my hens. Keep running out to check on them instead of going to bed.,:)
Martih, I agree that you should relocate the snake. And I understand your running out to check. I had to get a camera so I could see anything moving around the coop and I plan on also installing a baby monitor. LOL..but if it works for babies it will help my girls. They will let me know if anything is near for sure. Good luck and I hope you get the sleep you deserve my friend. Look into the camera's...they may be a couple of hundred but well worth it to see what is going on from the comfort of your living room.
vivian
Cincinnati ohio

In the past, I found a black snake in the pen with my chicks.. It did digest one of the chicks, however, I have witnessed those same hens (grown now) kill a black snake. I have found that mothballs deter all snakes from the area to prevent a future encounter with my chickens. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom