Snakes

Farmdreamin

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2018
Hello! I have 6 chickens most are little ones like silkies but I got one Brahma who is almost 6 months. My husband is terrified of snakes. We don’t get big ones. Just little ones but I have read some will eat snakes. Is it realistic to think she might help keep snakes away? My husband is not a huge fan of my chickens but he is a good sport because I love them, however, this could win him over lol. Thanks!

Hello! I have 6 chickens most are little ones like silkies but I got one Brahma who is almost 6 months. My husband is terrified of snakes. We don’t get big ones. Just little ones but I have read some will eat snakes. Is it realistic to think she might help keep snakes away? My husband is not a huge fan of my chickens but he is a good sport because I love them, however, this could win him over lol. Thanks!

I think I should clarify. I don’t have a snake problem of any sort. I live in the woods but I have only seen one baby garder snake in the 3 years we’ve lived here and that was way back in the rear woods by our rock wall. BUT. My husband has a severe phobia none the less so I’m trying to convince him that our new giant chicken will eat them. I’ve read some info to suggest that but now much. Looking for opinions on if a very large chicken would actually eat a small snake or
At least scare it off if it were the come
By.
Thanks!

Follow link below. Snake was a repeat visitor. Another was eating eggs. Chickens had issues with snakes, but had a hard time repelling large snakes.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/video-of-black-king-snake-hunting-chicks-and-mice.1177851/
Yellow rat snakes are "raiders of the egg box".
We battle them spring thru fall seasons.
Copy of IMG_20170717_141536.jpg

Copy of IMG_20170717_141626.jpg

Not dangerous to humans but haphazardness to egg production.
IMG_20170720_121958.jpg

They stress your egg layers and they will stop laying eggs until you eliminate the threat.
We are in Florida. I have tons of pix of these suckers my DH snatched up. Yellow rat snakes can get 10 feet long.

Also what is a no spill feeding system? My babies are all indoor for the winter ( I know that’s not necessary but I like to do it). We have a large indoor coop/run in the basement but they will be out in the spring if it ever gets here. I didn’t have any rodent issues last year but doesn’t hurt to take precautions for this year too.

Back
Top Bottom