Snakes

StarLover21

Songster
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
My chickens love snakes! Especially one called Redtail. We sometimes get these 'worm' snakes, that are not the size of worms, but still small for a snake. I have seen Redtail swallow one whole
sickbyc.gif
. Today I found one and tossed it to the chickens. They went nuts, playing tug-a-war, chasing eachother, flapping, cackling...you get the picture. Oh my gosh a GIANT worm!!!!!!!!
gig.gif
So if you hate snakes, get chickens!

I've never seen my chickens with a snake. I'm assuming this spring I will see them around again since every year I find them in the garden. I can't wait I love watching my girls chase each other when one has a worm
lau.gif

I remember the first time my chickens caught a snake! I was terrified...I was sitting on the porch working on a windchime; the chickens were out free-ranging. All of a sudden I see Opal, my chubbiest Orpington running away from all the other girls. She had the biggest worm in her beak I had ever seen...or so, I thought it was a worm. As soon as I realized It was a snake I freaked out, grabbed my iced tea and chased after her, trying to splash her and get her to drop that snake! I was worried it was poisonous o something and if she ate it she would get sick or worse
roll.png
. I finally got her to abandon her find. I chopped off it's head and into the compost pile it went. A few hours of fourm surfing later I found out I could have just let her have it, it was harmless. Oh well...I'm sure she forgave me ater I came back with some of my apology tomatoes.

Chickens eat a surprizing amount of animal prey. Watch closely and over time and you will see them catch and eat small rodents, even young birds. Indigo buntings seem particularly tasty.

Back
Top Bottom