Snapping turtle getting my ducklings!!!

anyone ever deal with this? We have a pond and the ducklings are being picked off one by one, by a huge snapping turtle. anyway to move the turtle ?
Well to move it you need to catch it. A fishing pole works just fine with a little bait. Its not that difficult really.

I was assuming it was a giant turtle. I have seen some big ones that have lived in lakes for years!
hide.gif

Bait with what? A duckling? Lol I've got (or had) bass in the pond. Haven't seen many lately but if I can catch a small one would that work?
Lol @ duckling for bait. Anything a fish would eat, a turtle will so the same kinds of bait you catch a bass with will work on a turtle.

I would consider moving the babies out of your pond, at least for now. Give them a little pool, and maybe they will do better in the pond when they are MUCH more mature. They don't have adults to guard them, so they really are vulnerable. Big turtles are VERY old, and it's a shame to wipe them out if there's any other way. Mary

I would consider moving the babies out of your pond, at least for now.  Give them a little pool, and maybe they will do better in the pond when they are MUCH more mature.  They don't have adults to guard them, so they really are vulnerable.  Big turtles are VERY old, and it's a shame to wipe them out if there's any other way.  Mary
They are fairly large ducklings and I would move them if I could catch them :/ the turtle may be old, but he will have to be moved. I can't afford for it to keep taking anymore of my ducks. Even if there were older sucks they can't exactly keep babies safe from him pulling one under :/

I hear turtle soup is good, but good luck finding directions for cleaning the carcass! Have you checked with your DNR about moving turtles? Again, good luck! Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom