Snapping turtle getting my ducklings!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by beylabean, Jun 12, 2016.

1. beylabean

beylabean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    anyone ever deal with this? We have a pond and the ducklings are being picked off one by one, by a huge snapping turtle. anyway to move the turtle ?

2. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    IDK, but when you do, make soup!

3. beylabean

Apr 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada

Haha. Thanks but not really much help :/ lol

4. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Well to move it you need to catch it. A fishing pole works just fine with a little bait. Its not that difficult really.

5. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I was assuming it was a giant turtle. I have seen some big ones that have lived in lakes for years! [​IMG]

6. beylabean

Apr 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    Bait with what? A duckling? Lol I've got (or had) bass in the pond. Haven't seen many lately but if I can catch a small one would that work?

7. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Lol @ duckling for bait. Anything a fish would eat, a turtle will so the same kinds of bait you catch a bass with will work on a turtle.

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I would consider moving the babies out of your pond, at least for now. Give them a little pool, and maybe they will do better in the pond when they are MUCH more mature. They don't have adults to guard them, so they really are vulnerable. Big turtles are VERY old, and it's a shame to wipe them out if there's any other way. Mary

9. beylabean

Apr 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    They are fairly large ducklings and I would move them if I could catch them :/ the turtle may be old, but he will have to be moved. I can't afford for it to keep taking anymore of my ducks. Even if there were older sucks they can't exactly keep babies safe from him pulling one under :/

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I hear turtle soup is good, but good luck finding directions for cleaning the carcass! Have you checked with your DNR about moving turtles? Again, good luck! Mary

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by