Sneezing and does not lay eggs?

Mama fluff

Chirping
Nov 4, 2019
Pennsylvania
Wasn’t sure where to post this but I have a hen who is almost two years old she has been sneezing since she was a chick ! ( I bought her as a day old chick) no other symptoms except she has literally only laid maybe 2 or 3 eggs in her life! She eats and drinks and is normal otherwise!! I was just wondering does anyone have a chicken who just sneezes and isn’t sick? What could be the reason for this? Do chickens have allergies? As for the non egg laying she did just go through a hard molt ! She was practically bald !

I have no experience with a chicken like this. But I had 6 chicks with a cold couple a years ago. Some were lightly sneezing and grew over it in a week of 2. After six weeks the one with most problems finally got over it.

Because I was worried I read about sneezing and sick chickens. There is a disease IB /infection (a type of influenza) that can cause problems with the egg production. And makes hens infertile. Sorry I forgot the name to search for it on the internet.

If you think she is happy, and you don’t mind she doesn’t produce any eggs? I would keep her.

Wasn’t sure where to post this but I have a hen who is almost two years old she has been sneezing since she was a chick ! ( I bought her as a day old chick) no other symptoms except she has literally only laid maybe 2 or 3 eggs in her life! She eats and drinks and is normal otherwise!! I was just wondering does anyone have a chicken who just sneezes and isn’t sick? What could be the reason for this? Do chickens have allergies? As for the non egg laying she did just go through a hard molt ! She was practically bald !
Does she sneeze all the time or do you notice it more when she has been eating/drinking?
Since she is almost 2yrs old and has sneezed since she was a chick and you don't mention that any of your other birds have ever had any problems, the likelihood that she has a respiratory disease is small.
What breed is she? Do you have another similar breed to compare her to? Possibly her nares (nostrils) are smaller?
I would take a guess that it's just the way she is. Laying only a few eggs over her lifetime, one might conclude that she has a genetic or developmental problem. But that would be just a guess.
Sounds like she's a pet, so I agree, I would enjoy her. I would not use her for any breeding if that's part of your goals/plans.

Does she sneeze all the time or do you notice it more when she has been eating/drinking?
Since she is almost 2yrs old and has sneezed since she was a chick and you don't mention that any of your other birds have ever had any problems, the likelihood that she has a respiratory disease is small.
What breed is she? Do you have another similar breed to compare her to? Possibly her nares (nostrils) are smaller?
I would take a guess that it's just the way she is. Laying only a few eggs over her lifetime, one might conclude that she has a genetic or developmental problem. But that would be just a guess.
Sounds like she's a pet, so I agree, I would enjoy her. I would not use her for any breeding if that's part of your goals/plans.
she is a frizzled satin silkie mix and yes she sneezes mostly when eating and drinking but also on roost at night ! I have others that I got with her though not related I don’t think ? Got them as chicks ! No one else constantly sneezes she has never gotten any worse nor better so I figured it was just her? And I never treated cause no other symptoms but that! Yes she is a pet and even if I wanted to breed her I couldn’t she does not lay! No eggs! Lol but no I wouldn’t ! I was just wondering if there was something I could do for her? Do you think a antibiotic would help? I don’t really care that she doesn’t lay I get more then enough eggs!

I have no experience with a chicken like this. But I had 6 chicks with a cold couple a years ago. Some were lightly sneezing and grew over it in a week of 2. After six weeks the one with most problems finally got over it.

Because I was worried I read about sneezing and sick chickens. There is a disease IB /infection (a type of influenza) that can cause problems with the egg production. And makes hens infertile. Sorry I forgot the name to search for it on the internet.

If you think she is happy, and you don’t mind she doesn’t produce any eggs? I would keep her.
Thank you ! I’m definitely going to keep her it just always bothered me and I thought maybe there was something I could do ? I’ve tried feeding natural things like herbs .. oregano, basil and garlic and such things good for respiratory to see if that would help but no changes !

she is a frizzled satin silkie mix and yes she sneezes mostly when eating and drinking but also on roost at night !

No one else constantly sneezes she has never gotten any worse nor better so I figured it was just her? And I never treated cause no other symptoms but that!

I was just wondering if there was something I could do for her? Do you think a antibiotic would help? I don’t really care that she doesn’t lay I get more then enough eggs!
Are her nostrils free of debris or food? I've never had Silkies, but some people find that they need to clear the nostrils frequently - seems their nostrils get clogged up. http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/PluggedNare/PluggedNare.html

Personally, I would not treat her with an antibiotic since the sneezing is something she's done for almost 2 years - she's no better/worse and has no "new" symptoms.

Sometimes dust and poor ventilation in the coop is a contributor to sneezing - does she roost really low where there's not a lot of fresh air coming in?
LOL duh:oops: Well, you make perfect sense on the breeding since she doesn't lay eggs!
My goodness, sometimes my brain doesn't connect things :lol:

Are her nostrils free of debris or food? I've never had Silkies, but some people find that they need to clear the nostrils frequently - seems their nostrils get clogged up. http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/PluggedNare/PluggedNare.html

Personally, I would not treat her with an antibiotic since the sneezing is something she's done for almost 2 years - she's no better/worse and has no "new" symptoms.

Sometimes dust and poor ventilation in the coop is a contributor to sneezing - does she roost really low where there's not a lot of fresh air coming in?
LOL duh:oops: Well, you make perfect sense on the breeding since she doesn't lay eggs!
Lol no need to hide!! No actually the roost is about 3 feet ! Do chickens have allergies ?

Oh and I will check her nostrils I never new that ! And thanks for the link :)

Back
Top Bottom