Sneezing and rales

OhioGirl

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
Tipp City, Ohio
I have two chicks approx a month old that have been sneezing and sound junky when they breathe heavily. I have separated the two and now there is a third that is sneezing. There are no other symptoms like visible drainage from eyes or nostrils. Do I need to worry or medicate them? Is it common for chicks to get sinus infections?

Sneezing can be common with chicks if there are dusty conditions or dusty feed or an ammonia odor, but rales are a symptom of respiratory diseases. The first signs are usually eye and nasal drainage though. Are you sure it's rales? Have they been around older birds at your place or another place? Here is a list of common diseases where you can compare symptoms--look at IB, MG, coryza, and ILT: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

It sounds like rales when they breath deeply. Just really junky sounding but I supposed it could also be upper airway congestion. If it's from dusty conditions what can I do to help with the dust? There is shavings on their brooder and has been changed regularly.

It sounds more like a respiratory infection. Pine shavings vary a lot by manufacturer. I try to use the larger shavings from a local farm store, since the fine ones are too dusty for chicks. You may need to try different brands to find a good one. Most farm stores have the 2 types available. Make sure they have good ventilation. If it keeps up or you notice additional resp. symptoms, you may need to try some antibiotics. Have you checked with the breeder about your symptoms?

Back
Top Bottom