sneezing and watery eyes

julie42a

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2014
Aberdeen, SD
Hi! I have a hen who is sneezing occasionally and has some clear discharge coming from her nose and slightly watery eyes. I'm wondering if I should treat with antibiotics or watch and wait? I've seen two of my other girls sneeze once but its been very windy and dusty so I didn't think much of it. Maybe everybody is coming down with something? I have 100 mg doxycycline tablets on hand, would those be usable? Thanks!
Julie

It could be a little cold/flu hold off for a day or two on treatment. Check out respiratory infections while you wait. Just my opinion but hold off on antibiotics until you have reason to think its bacterial.

I'm hoping its just from all the weird weather changes and wind, but I noticed her shaking her head a lot and breathing loudly when she was eating so I'm a bit concerned. And my leghorn has been "yawning" a lot and I'm wondering if that is trouble breathing? I've had them since March and all of a sudden it seems like everything is going wrong :(

I added apple cider vinegar today. I had used Rooster Booster vitamin and electrolyte powder in their water after I wormed them last week but I don't think they liked it very much, there was a lot of tasting and head shaking. Hopefully the ACV will go over better.

Thanks! These are my first chickens and I had no idea I'd get so attached to them! They just have such funny little personalities :)

I would so love to do that, but no roosters :( I thought I had an accidental Wyandotte rooster, but I think if Bednadette was a Bernie Mac she would have crowed by now.

Back
Top Bottom