sneezing and watery eyes

julie42a

Chirping
5 Years
May 30, 2014
Aberdeen, SD
Hi! I have a hen who is sneezing occasionally and has some clear discharge coming from her nose and slightly watery eyes. I'm wondering if I should treat with antibiotics or watch and wait? I've seen two of my other girls sneeze once but its been very windy and dusty so I didn't think much of it. Maybe everybody is coming down with something? I have 100 mg doxycycline tablets on hand, would those be usable? Thanks!
Julie

hennible

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
Central British Columbia
It could be a little cold/flu hold off for a day or two on treatment. Check out respiratory infections while you wait. Just my opinion but hold off on antibiotics until you have reason to think its bacterial.

julie42a

Chirping
5 Years
May 30, 2014
Aberdeen, SD
I'm hoping its just from all the weird weather changes and wind, but I noticed her shaking her head a lot and breathing loudly when she was eating so I'm a bit concerned. And my leghorn has been "yawning" a lot and I'm wondering if that is trouble breathing? I've had them since March and all of a sudden it seems like everything is going wrong :(

julie42a

Chirping
5 Years
May 30, 2014
Aberdeen, SD
I added apple cider vinegar today. I had used Rooster Booster vitamin and electrolyte powder in their water after I wormed them last week but I don't think they liked it very much, there was a lot of tasting and head shaking. Hopefully the ACV will go over better.

julie42a

Chirping
5 Years
May 30, 2014
Aberdeen, SD
Thanks! These are my first chickens and I had no idea I'd get so attached to them! They just have such funny little personalities :)

julie42a

Chirping
5 Years
May 30, 2014
Aberdeen, SD
I would so love to do that, but no roosters :( I thought I had an accidental Wyandotte rooster, but I think if Bednadette was a Bernie Mac she would have crowed by now.

Top Bottom