Sneezing, bubbly eyes and crusty beaks

A year ago I would have tried everything. But this year knowing more, I have to say in the end I would probably cull and start clean. It's a hard decision to make though alright.

A year ago I would have tried everything. But this year knowing more, I have to say in the end I would probably cull and start clean. It's a hard decision to make though alright.

My heart is telling me to cull but I just can't get my mind to follow right now. If it was a disease that wasn't so easy to get again would have helped but to know that a wild bird could get in the coop or poop by the runs and bring it right back makes for difficulty.
The vet said that lots of chicken owners/breeders have this and have no idea as their flocks do not present symptoms and that makes it hard to know who to buy from. I am certain that hatcheries test their birds, right?

It has me curious to try and find out now. I may email a few and ask their testing procedures-not sure they will respond but it would be good to find out if we are getting the healthiest fowl we can get. I guess I'm just scared now of the unknowns that could affect a bird before you attempt to raise it.

Most hatcheries have their NPIP information available on their webpages. That guarantees that at minimum their stock is free of Pullorum-Typhoid. There are other diseases that can be checked, like Avian Influenza and two different strains of Mycoplasma.

Edited to add: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/porta...a_avian_health/ct_poultry_disease_information

You can view the participants by state and look up hatcheries enrolled in NPIP.

If you go through the "by state" link and click Texas, here's what you get:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/states/texas.pdf

You can see that HyLine tests for AI, both strains of Mycoplasma, and SE. Not sure what SE might be.

Last edited:
Quote:
Keep in mind there are different strains of MG and MS; some strains cause mild symptoms and others present severe symptoms. One thing is for sure; survivors are carriers for life and both diseases are passed through eggs. No selling or giving away eggs to be hatched. Stress will bring out symptoms, a closed flocked will have to be maintained as well as practicing strict biosecurity. Personally I'd cull, disinfect everything, wait a month (even though mycoplasma bacteria cant survive more than 3 days in the environment) and order new chicks from a hatchery.
Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry. You can scroll down to Mycoplasma Synoviae (MS) and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) and read about them if you wish:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you all for the links and sound advice. I am making plans to cull and clean up and wait (at least a month for sure). It is going to be difficult but I know it is best for the birds and for me.

I was reading your post on your sick chickens, I have several that have the same symptoms. We even had an FAD investigation with our state vet coming to our premise. I think we are dealing with the same sickness you are having. Have you heard from your lab yet. Our vet won't even submit a sample for us.
Thank you
Chasity Rickel
[email protected]

Back
Top Bottom