Sneezing, bubbly eyes and crusty beaks

nuttinfancy

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
Ambrose, GA
Hi all. I have been dealing with sick chickens for a couple weeks. I was cleaning my pen (1 game roo and 8 Game hens all 41 wks old) when I noticed a hen sneezing. I thought the dust was getting to her so I stopped and wet the pen down and continued. 2 days later, she had tiny bubbles in one of her eyes. The next day my roo had the same and was sneezing (almost like hiccup sounds). I started Duramycin-10 ( 1tsp. per 1 gallon water) that day and the roo was better within 3 days. The hen got worse so I isolated her and had to hand feed and water her. She developed a huge "pus pocket" ? over the bubbly eye and her head developed swelling around the ear and side of beak. By the 9th day of her sickness she was totally blind, even though her other eye looked perfect. Everyone else was healthy and happy so I thought it was something mild that just affected her worse than the others. This past Saturday, I noticed my roo sneezing and had the bubbly eye again. I immediately started the Duramycin on that pen again. He got worse within 24 hours and died Tuesday morning despite being hand fed and watered. The hen died yesterday. I have another hen with the bubbly eye and sneezing so it isn't going away.

I contacted the GA Poultry Lab in Tifton, GA and he had me to dose the remaining flock with 5 tsp. Duramycin to 1 gallon of water. I had already buried my roo but he came and picked up the hen for necropsy and I should get the results by Tuesday.
Just wanted to post to share my story and I will be back with the results of the tests so this may help others facing this.

I have 2 other pens with younger chicks but so far they are well. He said to dose them the same if I notice any symptom but so far so good. Keep your fingers crossed for me that this isn't something that will cause me to dispose of the whole flock. My chickens are my babies and it was hard to lose the 2- I can't imagine going out to empty pens.

You may be dealing with coryza or a bad strain of mycoplasma. Chickens this sick can have multiple infections of coccidiosis, then bronchitis or mycoplasma or coryza all at once. Did the sick chickens have a bad smell about them which could mean coryza? Coryza is best treated with sulfadimethoxine or Di-Methox (Albon is another brand.) Mycoplasma would not have the bad odor and is best treated with Tylan 50 injections into the breast muscle. Tylan Soluble powder could also be used in the water, although it is expensive. Tylan will treat coryza, but sulfa is better. Duramycin can be helpful, but is a weaker medicine. Since respiratory diseases like the ones mentioned are contagious and cause carriers, many people choose to cull the flock, clean the premises, and wait a month or two before starting over with healthy chickens. In a flock that has had mycoplasma or CRD, a drug called Denagard can be used in different dosages to either prevent infection with once a month use, or to treat an outbreak. Here is a link about diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Instead of using Duramycin, which didn't help the hen, I treat with Corid for a possible Coccidiosis outbreak, especially if other birds start to show signs. It will be good to find out what it really is and let everyone know.
Corid Powder .024% - 1.5 tsp to 1 gallon water; Liquid 2 tsp / .012% - use 3/4 tsp. If you have a bird that has this and its severe, give 1 drop of Corid .024% orally. People also supplement with Vita-Pro-B and Replamin - vitamins and probiotic. After treatment, using apple cider vinegar in the water works as a safeguard.

Yeah, the hen had a foul smell to her within the first 2 days but the roo did not until the 2nd time he got sick. I talked with the vet about Coryza but he said it is rare to have but he won't know until we get the test results. As hard as it would be I have accepted the fact that I may have to cull them all. Just praying it isn't that serious...

So far today, no one else is sick and the bubbly eyed hen looks better. I just can't catch a break here though- it's pouring rain, my free range birds came down and was acting nervous and I noticed my main gal Lucy is gone-not sure if an owl got her or something grabbed her when she came down. Lord, let me have a better day tomorrow! Please!

Instead of using Duramycin, which didn't help the hen, I treat with Corid for a possible Coccidiosis outbreak, especially if other birds start to show signs. It will be good to find out what it really is and let everyone know.
Corid Powder .024% - 1.5 tsp to 1 gallon water; Liquid 2 tsp / .012% - use 3/4 tsp. If you have a bird that has this and its severe, give 1 drop of Corid .024% orally. People also supplement with Vita-Pro-B and Replamin - vitamins and probiotic. After treatment, using apple cider vinegar in the water works as a safeguard.

I asked about changing to another antibiotic but he wants to wait on the tests. Today is day 3 of the 5tsp. of Duramycin. I may switch if anyone gets sick after today because it will prove to be ineffective at that strong a dosage. They are all on vitamins and probiotics too
What is the dosage on the ACV? I use 1 and 2 gallon plastic waters and clean daily.

Last edited:
I asked about changing to another antibiotic but he wants to wait on the tests. Today is day 3 of the 5tsp. of Duramycin. I will switch if anyone gets sick after today because it will prove to be ineffective at that strong a dosage. They are all on vitamins and probiotics too
What is the dosage on the ACV? I use 1 and 2 gallon plastic waters and clean daily.
Here is a link for Di-Methox if you can't find it locally, since it is not that easy to find at most stores: http://www.kvsupply.com/sulfadimethoxine-107-grams/&gclid=CMGi8KXL9LsCFecRMwodpVEAqw

Thanks. Are you familiar with one named Sulmet? Is it the same? I was told it was here at a local feed store but haven't had time to look it up. All the hens made it thru the day and there are no signs of sickness. I hope we are curing it and also hoping that Tuesday hurries so I can have some answers.

Thanks. Are you familiar with one named Sulmet? Is it the same? I was told it was here at a local feed store but haven't had time to look it up. All the hens made it thru the day and there are no signs of sickness. I hope we are curing it and also hoping that Tuesday hurries so I can have some answers.
Yes, Sulmet is sulfamethazine, while Di-Methox is sulfadimethoxine, and both are sulfa drugs. They both can be given for coryza and coccidiosis, but if I would to chose one, I would use the Di-Methox. Either one will work.

Just to update- haven't heard from the lab yet -I will call them if I don't hear from them within the hour. All signs of illness gone from coop so hoping it was a short lived infection or the Duramycin has stopped it.

Back
Top Bottom