Sneezing chicken

Brian720

Chirping
Mar 30, 2020
One of my chickens has been sneezing for the past few days. I googled in and most places said they’ll get over it but I’m worried it’s getting worse. I noticed this morning she had a little bit of mucus coming out of her nose. She’s acting totally fine walking around eating and drinking like normal. I put some apple cider vinegar in their water thinking maybe it would help but I don’t think it is. One of my other chickens sneezed today and I’m getting worried that maybe there’s some kind of chicken cold in my flock. I clean their coop once a week and make sure they have fresh water and food daily. Just wondering if there’s anything else I can do for her. Thanks.

If you're just seeing mild sneezing once and a while, and no other symptoms it could be an environmentally-related problem such as too much dust in the environment, or actual respiratory disease, such as Infectious Bronchitis. A bird's respiratory system is quite complex and sensitive to any irritants in the environment. Inadvertently, exposing the bird to irritants such as dust, or excessive ammonia can predispose the bird to develop respiratory symptoms, as well as respiratory diseases by lowering its immune response.

Whenever respiratory symptoms are noticed, emphasis should always be put on ensuring the air in the bird's environment is well ventilated, as well as ammonia and dust-free to promote immunity and overall better respiratory health.

Determining the cause of the sneezing will almost solely rely on diagnostic tests done by your state or national lab. If the symptoms are mild, you may just wait it out. Respiratory diseases such as Infectious bronchitis are often mild in older birds and can cause rales, sneezing, eye, and nasal discharge. On a general basis, birds with IB generally show improvement after a month or so.

Infectious bronchitis is a virus and therefore won't likely show improvement to antibiotics unless there are secondary conditions developing that would show improvement. Upping vitamins on occasions, especially zinc may help reduce clinical symptoms. Zinc plays a major role in the immune response to certain pathogens in birds.

It might be environmental, but infectious bronchitis virus is the most common of respiratory diseases. It lasts about a month with sneezing and mild nasal drainage as the common symptoms, and does not respond to antibiotics. It can cause a decrease in laying, and wrinkled egg shells may be seen. MG symptoms can look a bit like IB, and may cause bubbles in eyes, swelling of the eyelids or face, and other symptoms. Tylosin, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline are some of the antibiotics thatwill treat MG, but IB has to run it’s course. IB is very contagious, and usually spreads throughout the flock over weeks or months. The good thing about IB is that it only makes carriers of survivors for 5 months to a year. MG survivors are carriers for life.

my understanding is that respiratory diseases are pretty contagious in chickens but also fairly mild. you may want to separate the sick ones, though I'm not sure if it's one of those things where everyone's exposed now so it doesnt matter if you separate them, yknow? if it gets really bad, they may need antibiotics, but I would personally just provide supportive care at the moment - make sure they're eating and drinking and arent too cold. sick critters have a harder time regulating their body temperature. and just keep updating this post if anything changes

I have a heater in their coop for cold nights thankfully it really hasn’t been that cold here. I’m going to supplement more vitamins and probiotics in their water see if that helps. If I need antibiotics can I just get them at tractor supply?
I have heard people talk about buying FishMox (amoxicillin for fish) online and I think that's the only way to get antibiotics without a vet at the moment. But I've not looked into it myself. I have a plethora of 'someone didnt take the last pill' of human, dog and cat meds, and SOME of them are safe for poultry - but do not give anything without researching it first & triple checking dosage. I am not suggesting being reckless. (I'm looking at you, lurkers) - so that's what I use.

Thanks for the help. Like I said she’s not real sick. Still acts normal just sneezing. I’ll try the vitamins and stuff. If it gets worse I’ll readdress the situation. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom