Sneezing chicken

Brian720

Chirping
Mar 30, 2020
One of my chickens has been sneezing for the past few days. I googled in and most places said they’ll get over it but I’m worried it’s getting worse. I noticed this morning she had a little bit of mucus coming out of her nose. She’s acting totally fine walking around eating and drinking like normal. I put some apple cider vinegar in their water thinking maybe it would help but I don’t think it is. One of my other chickens sneezed today and I’m getting worried that maybe there’s some kind of chicken cold in my flock. I clean their coop once a week and make sure they have fresh water and food daily. Just wondering if there’s anything else I can do for her. Thanks.

my understanding is that respiratory diseases are pretty contagious in chickens but also fairly mild. you may want to separate the sick ones, though I'm not sure if it's one of those things where everyone's exposed now so it doesnt matter if you separate them, yknow? if it gets really bad, they may need antibiotics, but I would personally just provide supportive care at the moment - make sure they're eating and drinking and arent too cold. sick critters have a harder time regulating their body temperature. and just keep updating this post if anything changes

my understanding is that respiratory diseases are pretty contagious in chickens but also fairly mild. you may want to separate the sick ones, though I'm not sure if it's one of those things where everyone's exposed now so it doesnt matter if you separate them, yknow? if it gets really bad, they may need antibiotics, but I would personally just provide supportive care at the moment - make sure they're eating and drinking and arent too cold. sick critters have a harder time regulating their body temperature. and just keep updating this post if anything changes
I have a heater in their coop for cold nights thankfully it really hasn’t been that cold here. I’m going to supplement more vitamins and probiotics in their water see if that helps. If I need antibiotics can I just get them at tractor supply?

I have a heater in their coop for cold nights thankfully it really hasn’t been that cold here. I’m going to supplement more vitamins and probiotics in their water see if that helps. If I need antibiotics can I just get them at tractor supply?
I have heard people talk about buying FishMox (amoxicillin for fish) online and I think that's the only way to get antibiotics without a vet at the moment. But I've not looked into it myself. I have a plethora of 'someone didnt take the last pill' of human, dog and cat meds, and SOME of them are safe for poultry - but do not give anything without researching it first & triple checking dosage. I am not suggesting being reckless. (I'm looking at you, lurkers) - so that's what I use.

Thanks for the help. Like I said she’s not real sick. Still acts normal just sneezing. I’ll try the vitamins and stuff. If it gets worse I’ll readdress the situation. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom