Sneezing chicken

If you're just seeing mild sneezing once and a while, and no other symptoms it could be an environmentally-related problem such as too much dust in the environment, or actual respiratory disease, such as Infectious Bronchitis. A bird's respiratory system is quite complex and sensitive to any irritants in the environment. Inadvertently, exposing the bird to irritants such as dust, or excessive ammonia can predispose the bird to develop respiratory symptoms, as well as respiratory diseases by lowering its immune response.

Whenever respiratory symptoms are noticed, emphasis should always be put on ensuring the air in the bird's environment is well ventilated, as well as ammonia and dust-free to promote immunity and overall better respiratory health.

Determining the cause of the sneezing will almost solely rely on diagnostic tests done by your state or national lab. If the symptoms are mild, you may just wait it out. Respiratory diseases such as Infectious bronchitis are often mild in older birds and can cause rales, sneezing, eye, and nasal discharge. On a general basis, birds with IB generally show improvement after a month or so.

Infectious bronchitis is a virus and therefore won't likely show improvement to antibiotics unless there are secondary conditions developing that would show improvement. Upping vitamins on occasions, especially zinc may help reduce clinical symptoms. Zinc plays a major role in the immune response to certain pathogens in birds.

It might be environmental, but infectious bronchitis virus is the most common of respiratory diseases. It lasts about a month with sneezing and mild nasal drainage as the common symptoms, and does not respond to antibiotics. It can cause a decrease in laying, and wrinkled egg shells may be seen. MG symptoms can look a bit like IB, and may cause bubbles in eyes, swelling of the eyelids or face, and other symptoms. Tylosin, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline are some of the antibiotics thatwill treat MG, but IB has to run it’s course. IB is very contagious, and usually spreads throughout the flock over weeks or months. The good thing about IB is that it only makes carriers of survivors for 5 months to a year. MG survivors are carriers for life.

I let them free range around my backyard everyday so venti
If you're just seeing mild sneezing once and a while, and no other symptoms it could be an environmentally-related problem such as too much dust in the environment, or actual respiratory disease, such as Infectious Bronchitis. A bird's respiratory system is quite complex and sensitive to any irritants in the environment. Inadvertently, exposing the bird to irritants such as dust, or excessive ammonia can predispose the bird to develop respiratory symptoms, as well as respiratory diseases by lowering its immune response.

Whenever respiratory symptoms are noticed, emphasis should always be put on ensuring the air in the bird's environment is well ventilated, as well as ammonia and dust-free to promote immunity and overall better respiratory health.

Determining the cause of the sneezing will almost solely rely on diagnostic tests done by your state or national lab. If the symptoms are mild, you may just wait it out. Respiratory diseases such as Infectious bronchitis are often mild in older birds and can cause rales, sneezing, eye, and nasal discharge. On a general basis, birds with IB generally show improvement after a month or so.

Infectious bronchitis is a virus and therefore won't likely show improvement to antibiotics unless there are secondary conditions developing that would show improvement. Upping vitamins on occasions, especially zinc may help reduce clinical symptoms. Zinc plays a major role in the immune response to certain pathogens in birds.

I let them free range everyday around my yard and I clean their coop at least once a week. I leave the door to their open over night most nights to ensure enough ventilation and there is a heater in their coop to make sure they don’t get too cold. She sneezes pretty regularly. Some mornings she wakes up with a little gunk in her eye but it always clears away. She does have some nasal discharge and I always clean it off her face to prevent anything getting stuck in the mucus. Other than that she seems totally normal. Runs around eats drinks does everything a chicken is supposed to do.
I dont know if it makes a difference but all my chickens we’re vaccinated as chicks.I dont over do it with the treats and like I stated earlier they always have fresh food and water. I will run over to tractor supply later today to see what vitamins or supplements they have that I can give them. The rest of the flock seems ok. Occasion sneeze from one of my other birds but not as much as her.
All of my birds are young the two oldest were born in may and the other three were born in September. She is one of the ones born in September.
Thanks for all the help.

It might be environmental, but infectious bronchitis virus is the most common of respiratory diseases. It lasts about a month with sneezing and mild nasal drainage as the common symptoms, and does not respond to antibiotics. It can cause a decrease in laying, and wrinkled egg shells may be seen. MG symptoms can look a bit like IB, and may cause bubbles in eyes, swelling of the eyelids or face, and other symptoms. Tylosin, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline are some of the antibiotics thatwill treat MG, but IB has to run it’s course. IB is very contagious, and usually spreads throughout the flock over weeks or months. The good thing about IB is that it only makes carriers of survivors for 5 months to a year. MG survivors are carriers for life.
So just supportive measures and let this run its course?

I let them free range around my backyard everyday so venti

I let them free range everyday around my yard and I clean their coop at least once a week. I leave the door to their open over night most nights to ensure enough ventilation and there is a heater in their coop to make sure they don’t get too cold. She sneezes pretty regularly. Some mornings she wakes up with a little gunk in her eye but it always clears away. She does have some nasal discharge and I always clean it off her face to prevent anything getting stuck in the mucus. Other than that she seems totally normal. Runs around eats drinks does everything a chicken is supposed to do.
I dont know if it makes a difference but all my chickens we’re vaccinated as chicks.I dont over do it with the treats and like I stated earlier they always have fresh food and water. I will run over to tractor supply later today to see what vitamins or supplements they have that I can give them. The rest of the flock seems ok. Occasion sneeze from one of my other birds but not as much as her.
All of my birds are young the two oldest were born in may and the other three were born in September. She is one of the ones born in September.
Thanks for all the help.

It sounds like you're keeping them in a good environment. It can be hard to exactly pinpoint what respiratory disease they may, or may not have, but infectious bronchitis and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) are two common respiratory diseases. Depending on the immune status of the bird, age, and environment they are being kept in, each bird may respond to the disease differently. IB is generally milder in older birds.

The symptoms are minor right now, I would say just monitor them, and see how they do. Sometimes these things pass on their own.

It sounds like you're keeping them in a good environment. It can be hard to exactly pinpoint what respiratory disease they may, or may not have, but infectious bronchitis and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) are two common respiratory diseases. Depending on the immune status of the bird, age, and environment they are being kept in, each bird may respond to the disease differently. IB is generally milder in older birds.

The symptoms are minor right now, I would say just monitor them, and see how they do. Sometimes these things pass on their own.
They’re young birds not even a year old so I guess I’ll see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Any update? dealing with the same issue in our flock
Yes everyone is healthy and doing great now. I went to tractor supple bought something called vet rx and a vitamin/supplement that I mix in their water. The vet rx kinda reminds me of vapo rub it put it on each chicken and I sprinkled a few drops in their coop. I made sure I kept on top of cleaning the coop to keep the dust down and everyone is doing great. I’ll have to double check on the name of the stuff I mixed in their water.

Back
Top Bottom