Sneezing chicks, 2weeks old, lost 1 of 12 more sneezing now

Crittercuddler

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 6, 2014
TX
I purchased 12 chicks 1 week ago, they were approximately 1 week old. 6 Red Sex linked pullets, 1 black sex linked pullet, 2 RIR, 1 Americauna, 2 Barred Rocks.

They have been kept in a plastic storage bin with a heat lamp on straw. I am in TX. The first night was cooler than expected and they were in the garage, since then they have been in the house. I did see a few loose stools, but the latest have been normal. I have been offering them some vitamin/elec water, plain water, coconut water and water with essential oils added (Digest Zen and On Guard). I am feeding soy free GMO free starter.

There are 2 more that are not developing feathers as quickly as the 1 that passed away. Several are now sneezing. The bedding was changed completely yesterday (after 1 week). Each day I remove any wet bedding and add dry straw. The first to start sneezing was also the smallest, we lost her (red sex linked) last night. The second to start sneezing is a RIR, but is not the most lethargic, this one has a clear mucus after sneezing. I seldom catch the others sneezing, but some do have a tiny bit of clear dried material around their nares. They like the coconut water and essential oils and don't want to come near the vitamin/elec mix. I was very tired yesterday after I got home and stuck the vit/elec mix in with the probiotics and forgot to add any of the plain water or other mixes. I have only been using probiotics for 2 days. The other waters and mixes have been offered for 4-5 days. This is now day 8.

The person I purchased them from does not use any antibiotics and uses non GMO, soy free feeds with probiotics in the water. He adds electrolytes if they are lethargic or he is loosing some. He did have some 3 week olds that were lethargic when I purchased these. Thanks for any help you can offer. I would like to stay away from antibiotics if possible. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom