Sneezing/Coughin/Wheezing??

Miranda2609

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 16, 2011
Springfield, VT
I've been hearing a couple of my hens sneezing. My rooster started today, and when I went to pick him up to better examine him, I could hear this crackling wheezing as he was breathing. Another hen is doing the same thing. Wondering if I should think about picking up some antibiotics to put in their water. What do you think? Harold, the roo also had some goop at the corner of his eyes.

Well I can tell you that I am having the same problems. Mine has been going on for about 3 weeks. At first I thought it was just a cold and I would wait it out. Then one died so I started duramycin in the water along with crushed chewable vit c and other chicken vitamins in the water. No more have died but they are still sneezing and wheezing and blowing snot bubbles along with a cough. So they are not getting better. I bought some oxine to try misting them with which I did last night. No real improvement. I don't know what to do. I am so afraid they will spread it to my other chickens. So good luck and I hope maybe one of these things will help. I would say not to wait to start doing something though!

We just had a rooster with the same thing-and he's by himself. I started an antibiotic and vitamins...I
m thinking it's viral. Keep them separted if you can...but I'm at a loss too for what it is.

My Lucy is having some similar symptoms. Very inactive and when I picked her up her breathing sounded stuffy. Then she layed a soft egg and ate the entire thing. I don't know if the egg eating is normal or not, but I'm wondering about antibiotics and vitamins that people are talking about. I'm a new chicken mom so I have no idea about these things. Thanks

Hi everyone.... I started noticing last night that most of my hens are coughing and sneezing( I have 20 of the different breeds) , I put the multivitamin and electrolytes (powder) in the water together with the antibiotic to see how it goes... can be a virus or is just something normal? I live in Palm Beach Florida and is soo hot that Is not fun. mines are eating ok but I'm really concern. any thoughts?

It's not normal for chickens to cough and sneeze, so they may have a respiratory disease. Some of the common ones are infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis. Some can be viruses, bacterial, or caused by mold. High temperatures, dusty conditions, ammonia odors from droppings, and poor air circulation can increase chances of respiratory infections. What antibiotic are you using? It's best to not mix antibiotics with electrolytes and vitamins, in case of incompatibility. Do you see any eye drainage, nasal drainage, or swelling of the face or eyes?

Giving tetracycline in powder..like I said I'm mixing it in The water with the vitamins, didn't know is better not to mix. Yes they have a nose discharge , swollen face and eyes in some of them eyes are closed. We build a coop that is not so ventilated even though 20 feet has chicken wire and 8 feet is enclosed so they sleep there.
What can I do?

Back
Top Bottom