sneezing/coughing hen

mamas15

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 9, 2014
My buff-orpington was pretty sick yesterday - better this morning. Sneezing, wheezing, gasping; no secretions from nose or eyes or discoloration. She has been doing the sneezing occasionally but there was a escalation yesterday and she was pretty sick by evening. I have her isolated from the other girls because they started to peck at her - I think they were getting annoyed with her constant unusual noise! She stayed pretty active through it all - they are free range - just go into the coop at night' Any advice would be appreciated!

possible gape worm which I have never dealt with. Search site for this. most likely is viral and for all virus I always use Elderberry syrup / extract- no sugar added........ which you can ind at health food stores and some grocer stores. On line at Vitacost is the cheapest the brand is Natural Sources... I usually buy a case each year. Get a syringe and draw into it 1-1/2 ml of elderberry and then some purified/ filtered water about 1-12/ ml shake and open her beak and give it to her. A towel wrapped around her will help. do this 3 xs a day- morn, noon, nite till you see her get beter than cut it own to 2 xs a day for a few more days. I would aso add enough syrup to the other chickens waterer to color it maroon to head off a virus spread.

I have the same problem.. It sounds like the same symptom. Only one hen. No other signs of illness. Here is a video. Does it sound like this?

I am told that gape worm is very rare and this doesn't seem like it. Not 100% though.

Thanks to all for the good info. Hadn't heard of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum - after researching further on line she could have any one of numerous maladies. She is much better today - only an occasional sneeze. I enjoy my girls so much, I would hate to loose any; so far no symptoms in the others.

Back
Top Bottom