Sneezing/Coughing treatment

Marybeth912

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2017
Florida
Today one of my birds starting sneezing/coughing regularly and I am looking for a treatment.

I've ruled out tapeworm, she does not have a runny nose or eyes. She is laying, eating, drinking, running around like normal. Her mood/habits haven't change a all. Tomorrow I'm cleaning the coop to rule out anything environmental.

Suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Sneezing can be from dusty feed or conditions in the coop. How often is she sneezing or coughing. If there are no other symptoms at this time, I would just watch her. She could possibly have a virus if she is sneezing every few minutes. If she develops other symptoms, then it could be bacterial. At this point I would not give antibiotics. Make sure coop ventilation is good, no wet or moldy conditions, and check feed for being powdery.

Sneezing can be from dusty feed or conditions in the coop. How often is she sneezing or coughing. If there are no other symptoms at this time, I would just watch her. She could possibly have a virus if she is sneezing every few minutes. If she develops other symptoms, then it could be bacterial. At this point I would not give antibiotics. Make sure coop ventilation is good, no wet or moldy conditions, and check feed for being powdery.

Coop conditions are pretty good the run is basically a dirt floor so sometimes it can be dusty. I think it's more like coughing. There are no other symptoms but she's doing this sometimes every few minutes and sometimes more frequently than that. It came out the the blue, yesterday she was completely normal and today this.

You may want to Google “infectious bronchitis in chickens,” to read about the most common virus and respiratory disease in chickens. If it is IB, it can last a month or so, and it usually will spread to other chickens. In grown chickens it is not terribly serious, but you may see a decrease in laying or wrinkled egg shells. It can be dangerous in young chickens.

You may want to Google “infectious bronchitis in chickens,” to read about the most common virus and respiratory disease in chickens. If it is IB, it can last a month or so, and it usually will spread to other chickens. In grown chickens it is not terribly serious, but you may see a decrease in laying or wrinkled egg shells. It can be dangerous in young chickens.

I've been reading about it but it isn't clear wether its curable or not. I also haven't found any treatments. It sounds like in your post that it just needs to run it's course? The symptoms seem right though....I just don't understand how they contracted it.

Thank you

IB will run it’s course over 4-5 weeks, since it is a virus. It causes the chicken to become a carrier for 5 months up to a year following recovery. If you don’t hatch eggs or add new chickens to your flock for a year after any sick chickens recover, it should disappear from your flock. Other respiratory diseases, such as MG, ILT, and coryza, may be chronic and make them carriers for life.

Back
Top Bottom