Sneezing, crackling in lungs

Seriph

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2017
i have about 60/70 chicks in an outdoor coop and run. Since the onset of sneezing a few days ago it’s progressed to a crackling in the lungs and a loss of about 3 chicks per day.

The coop has hay for bedding, the run is grass and some dirt. When it gets wet I cover the dirt with DE. I clean the coop daily and have been burning the bedding.

They are just shy of 5 weeks old.

Mix of different chicken and turkey breeds

Most of them behave normally, everyone eats, drinks, sunbathes, runs around. They still continue to eat up until they die.

I treated for cocci three weeks ago and poops since then have been normal chick poops.

About half of the group is effected. The turkey however show no signs at all, and so far do not seem affected.

I feed chick starter grower mixed with game bird crumble, chili powder, boiled eggs, and herbs (oregano, garlic, etc)

There is no discharge, runny eyes, or other physical indication of illness. They have stopped coughing two days ago and only sneeze now.

The worst chicks I dosed with Tylan 200 as per a chart I found on here before. Half responded well and are symptom free, 1/4 died, and 1/4 show little improvement. About a half hour ago I used vet rx on the face, a drop in the mouth, and added some to their drinking water. I also added a pro biotic with electrolytes to their water.

A larger bird (6 months old) jumped into their run and now has the sneezing. I’ve left her in there, doses her with Tylan and used vet rx on her as well.

I’m really at a loss here. I’ve never seen this in all my time keeping chickens. I’ve been burning the bedding and bodies instead of composting it like I usually do, just trying to contain what ever is happening.

Two things could account for continuing mortality. One is the DE. Chickens, especially young chicks, have very delicate respiratory systems. DE is dusty and abrasive, when inhaled, it can cause erosion of the lung tissue. Also, if you aren't using 100% food grade DE, there may be additives in DE used for swimming pools that can adversely affect poultry.

The other possibility contributing to continuing mortality after treating for coccidiosis is necrotic enteritis. This is where the coccidia have managed to burrow into the intestinal linings of susceptible chicks, and in spite of the coccidiostat, infection has developed in the intestines that requires a sulfa drug in addition to the coccidiostat.

By the way, chickens have their own separate species of coccidia that do not affect turkeys. Turkeys have their own species of coccidia that target them that chickens are unaffected by.

Last edited:
The DE I get is from the feed store. I’m not sure if it has additives or not, the bag said it’s red lake DE, and is for animal use but that doesn’t mean much in the industry. Luckily it’s going to be hot and dry the next week so I will discontinue use of the DE and see if that helps.

If the cocci is in the lining of the intestines will there be any indication in the fecal matter?

Yes, coccidia burrowing into the intestines will often cause blood to appear in the poop.

If you bought the DE at a feed store, there's a greater chance it's food grade, but you need to look at the labeling to confirm it. There is feed grade and food grade. Food grade is the best to use around chickens.

Thank you for the advice. I transfer the DE to water tight storage so I’ll check it at the store when I go and pick up more feed. Their poops look normal, no red, not runny, semi firm and overall normal looking

Updating this for anyone else who has a problem with this. Vetrx actually works. By the evening sneezing was reduced by 1/3. The following day only 2 birds were sneezing. Now only one bird has a slight sneeze occasionally and no one has crackling lungs. I used it on their beaks, nostrils, in the water, and a drop down the throat. I beefed up their feed by adding raw and boiled eggs, corn meal, and sunflower or veg oil depending on what I had left in the pantry. Weight is increasing and sickness decreasing. I did have losses, but feel like if I had started the vetrx in tandem with injections I would have been able to cut that number in half.

Back
Top Bottom