sneezing, lethargic hen

Goldendoodles

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
I have a Buff Orp hen that doesn't seem well, This morning while all the others were out ranging, she stayed inside and slept, she did lay an egg, but I got worried about her lethargy, and brought her inside. Every now and then she makes a really loud noise like a cough or a honk
hmm.png
, and she breathes with her mouth open. but her eyes are open, and she seems alert, and eating and drinking fine. No discharge from nose. Not sure about her poop as I just separated her.
I keep hearing sneezing from the rest of my flock, but otherwise they seem perfectly fine. Since the recent drop in temp, and lots of rain I thought they just had colds. Started giving Poly-vi-sol vitamins in yogurt to hen and to the rest of the flock today, as a preventative. Should I be doing anything else? Does anyone know if this is something serious. Any advice would be appreciated

She may be on the verge of getting either a bout of chronic respiratory disease, coryza or bronchitis, which would explain her lethargy. Don't panic yet, though (not that you need to panic at all...). Keep an eye on her for another day or so and if her lethargy continues or you see any respiratory symptoms (or other unusual symptoms), you may want to consider starting treatment, depending on what those symptoms are. Watch for nasal discharge, eye foaming, rattling when breathing, runny or watery droppings, bad smells coming from her face, shell-less eggs, coughing and head shaking. Might not be a bad idea to get ahold of some antibiotics (tylan) as you may need some...

Laura

what bedding are you using?
has the coop been cleaned recently? could be from dusts and/or ammonia..
check coop and bedding for mold or mildew..
check feed for dust..or mold from spilling and getting wet..

Oxine is a good disinfectant.
available at:

http//www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/

click disinfectant in the sideboard.

good idea to have some Tylan 50 or gallimycin (ery-mycin) on hand..

I'm currently using straw, and dried leaves from my property.
coop has not been cleaned, but have added new bedding, because I'm using the deep litter method.
Haven't seen any mold, but area around the water gets a little damp because I have several ducks too.
Thankfully I keep the feed in a bin to avoid dust and damp.

It has been raining a lot, if that could mean anything. Today she seems a little better, I still have her in a doggy crate inside, but I haven't heard her make that coughing/ choking sound so far.
smile.png
No other symptoms, but will keep a close watch

Back
Top Bottom